Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1986 C4 Digital Dash Problem

clberger

Corvette
1986 Roadster
Hello, so here is the problem. All of a sudden my entire digital dash goes off & on. When it comes back on it is resetting and all stored data is lost. It can stay off for as little as a couple seconds up to an hour.

I noticed that when it comes back on the Volt gauge has a red warning light and is reading between 16 to 18 volts. Silly me, I think its the voltage regulator so I run out and replace the alternator. Needless to say, that didn't work. After that I have the brainstorm that maybe I should check the voltage at the battery. The volt guage is showing 18 volts but when I put a meter on the battery, it is showing the normal 13 volts (yes, I had the car running).

So, if anybody has any idea's, I'd be glad to listen.

Thanks, Craig

The first thing that pops to my mind (non-C4 owner) is ground straps... With a slopped connection, you will get strong voltage on the supply side but intermittent issues like you describe.

Mac

Moving from the New Member Introductions forum to the C4 Tech forum....

The first thing that pops to my mind (non-C4 owner) is ground straps... With a slopped connection, you will get strong voltage on the supply side but intermittent issues like you describe.

Mac

Welcome to CAC :beer

Just what Mac said...especially G101 which is on the passengers kick panel side :thumb

Thanks, I will take a look and see what I can find. Craig

Cluster

Don't waste your time on chasing grounds & other stuff. Your cluster needs repair & has one or more bad IC's. The voltage is the clue.

Don't waste your time on chasing grounds & other stuff. Your cluster needs repair & has one or more bad IC's. The voltage is the clue.

Thanks Ken, I sort of was thinking that but I didn't want to come to the realization of what it was going to cost!
Craig

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom