Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1986 C4 transmission swap

C

C4corvette

Hey im thinking about buying a 1986 corvette. It has the doug nash 4+3 which is shot it goes into gears very hard. I was doing some research on converting it to a 6 speed andit seems like it would be pretty expensive to do it right so i was wondering if it would be easier to just put a regular 4 speed manual in it. What transmission would be the best and how involved would it be?

Why not get a complete working second hand 4+3 unit to retain the overdrive?

AFAIK if you remove the overdrive unit you will need longer driveshaft and end up with high revs on freeway. A TKO or equivalent 5 speed is on my list when the 4+3 someday gives up - even then probably needs driveshaft fiddling.

I'm not a C4 kinda guy so I can't help you with the technicals but I can say WELCOME to you both!

-Mac

Hey im thinking about buying a 1986 corvette. It has the doug nash 4+3 which is shot it goes into gears very hard. I was doing some research on converting it to a 6 speed andit seems like it would be pretty expensive to do it right so i was wondering if it would be easier to just put a regular 4 speed manual in it. What transmission would be the best and how involved would it be?

Thats as much a clutch problem as it is a worn tranny.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom