Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 1986 Clutch Start Switch

JonJon

Corvette
1986 Coupe Silver/Grey
Hey Group
I just replaced the clutch slave cylinder/master cylinder combo on my '86 coupe.

The clutch pedal always had to be all the way on the floor for the engine to crank but since master cylinder replacement, the engine won't crank unless the clutch start switch is jumped.

The FSM page 8-B-15 describes switch replacement and readjustment procedures with illustration 8-B-3; however, this illustration is actually w/s washer nozzle aiming. I can barely see the switch under the dash, let alone reach up to release the detent button and pivot the switch.

Any advice/illustrations are GREATLY appreciated.
Jonathan.....

Did you remove the "hush pad/panel" from under the dash?

If you did not, remove that part. Once it's out, you'll probably have better access to the clutch switch.

Hib
Yes, I pulled the hush panel. I also unbolted and removed the knee blocker under the column ( at 6'1" 190# that's the only way I'm going to fit under there to gain access to the retainer pin holding the master cylinder push rod to the pin on the pedal).

I can barely see the bottom of the clutch start switch and the rod going forward to the clutch pedal let alone getting my hand up there.

I'm going to hazard a guess that the detent mentioned in the FSM is on the retainer at the clutch pedal and not back on the switch. I'm going to try to get my camera under the dash to photo what I'm seeing under there.

Jonathan.....

BTW I was under the dash twice as I replaced the brake booster and then to replace the clutch master cylinder.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom