Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 1986 Oil Cooler routing

drphil

I am restoring a 1986 corvette one-off. Have factory oil cooler (option KC4). I have the complete factory shop manual but the oil cooler is not listed in it. When I started with the restoration the piping was missing. I have the aluminum pipe that passing under the oil pan and the hoses that connect the pipe to the oil cooler and the hose-t that connects the tube to the the heater hose pipe. I do not have the other hose that connects the other side of the oil cooler to where? I need to know what the hose looks like and where the hose attaches. I read somewhere that the oil cooler goes to the block, but there is no plugged water jacket point that I can find. Please give me a description or pics would be better. Thanks.

I am restoring a 1986 corvette one-off. Have factory oil cooler (option KC4). I have the complete factory shop manual but the oil cooler is not listed in it. When I started with the restoration the piping was missing. I have the aluminum pipe that passing under the oil pan and the hoses that connect the pipe to the oil cooler and the hose-t that connects the tube to the the heater hose pipe. I do not have the other hose that connects the other side of the oil cooler to where? I need to know what the hose looks like and where the hose attaches. I read somewhere that the oil cooler goes to the block, but there is no plugged water jacket point that I can find. Please give me a description or pics would be better. Thanks.

it does go to the block...right next to the cooler. Both of those cooler hoses are short. One is just a union to the pipe that runs forward and the other runs over to a source at the block. I'll look under mine this weekend and get you a more detailed answer. I was just looking at an oil cooler adaptor wondering if I wanted to use that and an added heat exchanger or just keep the stock oil cooler/warmer...

That other "stuff" all collects up there near the belt tensioner where the T runs off the pump to a heater hose. There is one very short little section of hose from the T to the heater thats hidden from view that is only 3" long...

I'll look at it and let you know.

I need to know what the hose looks like and where the hose attaches..... there is no plugged water jacket point.
The std SBC drain plug on Drv side is replaced with a pipe nipple to take the curved supply hose to cooler

OilPan3.jpg

The std SBC drain plug on Drv side is replaced with a pipe nipple to take the curved supply hose to cooler

OilPan3.jpg

Thanks...
with the chance of rain, I did'nt want to be laying on the ground this weekend....:L

Marvs pan & underside? I keep thinking about stacking my cooler adaptor on top of the stock cooler but worry about everything hanging too low...I don;t have the deep pan. I know there are short filters to use, but are they as efficient as the normal size?

I keep thinking about stacking my cooler adaptor on top of the stock cooler but worry about everything hanging too low..
I would run one cooler or the other ; not both
If your setup requires a external cooler little benefit in keeping the stock one

I would run one cooler or the other ; not both
If your setup requires a external cooler little benefit in keeping the stock one

Thats about what I was thinking...

Right now the engine temps have been very stable with the big radiator and oil temps only rise briefly during some spirited driving then drop to fall in line with the coolant temp. For the time being, that adaptor plate is going to get polished and shelved...

another $60 part to help fill a box in the closet.:eyerole

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom