Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 1986 Vapor Canister Question - Vacuum Routing

chris123

On my 1986 convertible, it's taken me weeks to straighten out all the things the previous owner decided to replace/repair incorrectly, i.e jury rigged. Anyway, I'm now onto the vapor canister, and thanks to a picture that Agent 86 posted, it looks like I have the vacuum routing correct. I have the FSM, and the vacuum routing sticker is still on the radiator shroud, however I still wanted to check here as well.

My question is, if you look in the middle of the below picture resting on the bottom/body of the car, (coming out on the very bottom of the vapor caniter), there is a fairly thick vacuum hose coming out, which tees off after about 4 inches, and both lines are currently going nowhere, 1 going towards the front of the car, and the other towards the rear of the car. You can actually see the tee fitting right below/underneath and slightly left of the horn. In the lower righthand side of the picture, you can see where one of the hoses is just ending and not hooked up to anything. The part number on my canister is 17087214, which comes up for a 1989 model. I believe the AC Delco part number for a 1986 is 17113150. Was this specific canister even designed to function correctly on my '86? If so, where does the vacuum hose that is coming out of the bottom of the canister get hooked up to? If this canister isn't designed for my '86, I guess I'll have to grab one from a salvage yard, unless someone on here has one available.....

Thanks
smile5.gif

Otter: Thanks; that's the same diagram that is on my radiator shroud, however it is much clearer and easier to read; I must have the incorrect vapor canister, as no place in any of the diagrams I have seen show any large vacuum hose coming from the bottom/underneath of the canister. I will call my Corvette salvage guy and see what he says. If anyone has the diagram for a 1989, it probably would be helpful to see where that bottom hose actually leads to...........

Here's a couple illustrations from my FSM (89)

View attachment 14402View attachment 14401

Otter: Thanks for taking the time to post the pics; in the 2nd pic, it is showing an air inlet drain tube; I'm guessing that is what mine has, even though mine is an '86; besides the FSM, do you actually have a 1989? If so, could you pop the hood, and see where they lead to? Not sure why there would be a tee fitting coming off of there just for a drain tube, i.e. why there would be a need to have a drain tube teed off of the original source single drain tube......

There is a T on the drain and the hose disappears into the nose of the car, getting dark here so I can't really look further. Obviously its some type of drain for something else, but I have no clue what would be in the nose of the car that needed draining.

I had the same hose on my 89, and it didn't go to anything. found it when I replaced my canister Mike

Mike: Do you remember if there was a tee fitting on it?

There is a T on the drain and the hose disappears into the nose of the car, getting dark here so I can't really look further. Obviously its some type of drain for something else, but I have no clue what would be in the nose of the car that needed draining.

Otter: Thanks; it you get a sec in the daylight, see if yours has a tee connection on it, where one side goes towards the front of the car under the bumper, and the other goes back towards the rear of the car, again both sides actually not connected to anything..........

Chris, sorry if I wasn't clear..Yes, there is a tee, one side goes into the nose of the car, the other side goes towards the back end(and not connected, its a drain). No clue about the end going into the nose but I would bet it is not connected and it is just to vent the drain.

Chris, sorry if I wasn't clear..Yes, there is a tee, one side goes into the nose of the car, the other side goes towards the back end(and not connected, its a drain). No clue about the end going into the nose but I would bet it is not connected and it is just to vent the drain.

Otter: Fantastic, thanks for the clarification; looks like mine appears to be OK then; it still intrigues me as to why they would need to tee it to have 2 vent/drain relief sources. You would think just 1 hose would be enough. Maybe 2 just in case 1 got clogged for safety reasons? Obviously the GM engineers know a lot more about it than I do................

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom