Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1987 Pure stock Corvette Coupe

87vette16

Corvette
1987 silver beige and medium brown
I am looking to change the gears from the stock 87 automatic to possibly 3:42 gears. Does anyone see a problem with that? Looking for a little more 'get up and go' from a dead stop. Thanks, John

I can't see a downside to that, just make sure that the speedo is calibrated correctly, and consider LSD if yours doesn't already have it.

I would also make sure that who ever does the swap has done it before successfully in your type of vehicle. Very important.

What are you talking about, LSD? The guy doing it works on vettes exclusively and was a head mechanic at a dealership for years. Oh you're talking about limited slip differential. I think all the c4s had that.

Last edited:
Idk that D36 has a 3.42 available. You will need to change speedometer gears. To calibrate speedometer. There is one on the output shaft of transmission the other is on the Vehicle Speed Sensor (vss) depending on what you need it's possible to have to change both gears and sensor.

3:54 gears

Idk that D36 has a 3.42 available. You will need to change speedometer gears. To calibrate speedometer. There is one on the output shaft of transmission the other is on the Vehicle Speed Sensor (vss) depending on what you need it's possible to have to change both gears and sensor.
You're right, I think it's 3:54 gears he's putting in.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom