Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1988 Master Cylinders

C

CDN88

Hi all,

Does anyone know if the brake master cylinder on an 88 is year specific? My mechanic just told me that he had to search all over to find one because 88's had something special about them. I know the dual piston front calipers were new for 88, but, I've never seen anything about the master cylinder.

Thanks.

PS. :SLAP I know the sig pic's too big, but I can't get to it to resize it until 2night...

I'm not sure, but I would be surprised. About five years ago I cruised into Auto Zone and picked one up from their shelf. I got the impression it was as common as dirt.

That was five years ago, but still if it was common then, you would think it to be common now.

Good luck,

Da book sez

Mid America lists a different part for 84, 85,86-87.
1988 is a one year only

89-91 same

Weird

Vig!

Thanks for the confirmation... Now I'll have to look into it to find out what the difference is.

I just installed a rebuilt unit last weekend in my '89. Cost $80 plus tax at my local unaffiliated parts store. No brand I'd ever heard of.
The toughest part was re-installing the reservoirs. Not having "special tool 'xy-1234'" I had to completely ignore the service manual instructions, and install the rubber grommets to the reservoirs first, instead of putting them on the master first.
After pressing the reservors down over the grommets onto the master cylinder casting (really hard! The manual call for the use of an arbor press), I used a small pointed piece of wood to push the grommet lips all the way down into their proper engagement.
Having bled the master itself before re-connecting the lines, it was not even necessary for me to bleed the brake system, and 200 miles later, all is fine!
Good luck!
- R

Yes 1988 is that year specific.. Check with Corvette Central or The Last Detail. I bought one for my 89 from Corvette Central, it took forever to get but it was BRAND NEW and complete with Reservoirs for less then $200

-=Jeff=- said:
Yes 1988 is that year specific.. Check with Corvette Central or The Last Detail. I bought one for my 89 from Corvette Central, it took forever to get but it was BRAND NEW and complete with Reservoirs for less then $200

Then I don't feel so bad... @ .63 CDN per USD I'm in the ballpark :L

Anyone know hat may be different about it? Thanks.

I replaced my friends in his 88 last year.. looks the same as my 89, so I honestly don't know how much of a difference there is

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom