Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1988 red Callaway

redb2k's

Corvette
Lots of vettes-several b2k's
I spent the last couple of days cleaning/polishing the 88 Callaway. Getting ready for the Autorama car show. I was chosen for a group display for our corvette club. The car needed a good cleaning as I rarely have time to spend with my cars. I thought I would post a couple of pictures of the results.

Beautiful! :upthumbs

You gotta use them though!!! What is it about those Red Aerobody Callaways that just get no seat time ;)

:L

Congrats

-Luigi
:cool

Will it be at the Dallas Autorama as well? :upthumbs

It might actually be worth spending the admission fee this year if so! I heard last year's Dallas show was B-O-R-I-N-G from a friend.

BTW, are those black vinyl fill ins for the CALLAWAY letters in the back? Or did you have the letters painted black?

do all aerobody's have hood scoops?

I'm sure someone will correct me if I get it wrong, I don't believe the scoops had anything to do with aero or not. Rather '87s and '91s all had hood scoops. The '88-90 cars that have them would have had them added later.

Also, that car looks great! You need some further back pictures of it though. It seems like very few cars retain the black beltline when they go to the aerobody?

You are right about hood scoops...if u see a 88,89,90 cars with scoops they were added...except of course of the special one off cars...also my 89 has the black beltline, but not many cars do...it seems some of the early cars were the only ones. I like both with and without the beltline....personal preference i guess...I am used to mine and I do like the fact that most cars dont have the beltline just to make mine a little different I guess...

I will be seeing you at the Autorama.....Good to see you at Biffs as well...cannot wait....

You are right about hood scoops...if u see a 88,89,90 cars with scoops they were added...except of course of the special one off cars...also my 89 has the black beltline, but not many cars do...it seems some of the early cars were the only ones. I like both with and without the beltline....personal preference i guess...I am used to mine and I do like the fact that most cars dont have the beltline just to make mine a little different I guess...

As a rule, 87's have NACAs and 91's have scoops. The rest have flat hoods, unless otherwise added.

AeroBody cars if done to spec, will have a black beltline rub strip.

Arnold, your 1988 looks GREAT!

Luigi, funny... ;squint:

Thanks everyone for the postive comments. I will only be at the SA autorama as part of a club display. The rear letters are painted black. I chose not to paint the belt line molding when I installed the Aerobody. I liked the way it looked solid red. It can always be painted later. Mike, I will see you over the weekend. I will try and take some better pictures and post them later.

Spec for Aerobody cars having a black beltline? Where? Not in the installation manuals that I can find?

I think some colors look great with it and others better without it. Good news if someone wanted to add it to a solid car they could easily do it.

For example I think Silver looks good with a black belt line.

PS Arnold, that is one great looking B2K...nice work!

As a rule, 87's have NACAs and 91's have scoops. The rest have flat hoods, unless otherwise added.

AeroBody cars if done to spec, will have a black beltline rub strip.

Arnold, your 1988 looks GREAT!

Luigi, funny... ;squint:

Mark, please do not mistake what I said for having to do with personal choice or style. :cool

When it came to the AeroBody installs by Callaway, they all seem to have a black beltline (during that era).

Not saying some cars look fine without the black line, just saying what was done as a rule by the factory. :beer

...even the Old Lyme green Speedster had a black line

IMG_1071.JPG

I agree definitely that Aerobody cars look good regardless of what color the rub strip is....:upthumbs

I too have an Aerobody installation manual. There is no mention of painting instructions. However take a look at the pictures shown throughout the manual (like pg 23). It shows the rub rail in black.

My cars Aerobody seems to have been dealer installed since it is not specified on the Callaway Window Sticker and hence not a valid example of what Callaway specified. However, 91Callaway recently posted his window sticker which shows that the Aerobody was a Callaway option for his car. His car's rub rail is black. Speedsters were definitely Callaway installed Aerobody cars, the rub rails are all black except one (see bottom pic).

DAY10058.JPG

Keep in mind that the point of the rub strip, as on a boat, is to protect the body paint from scratching by things that might rub up to the car like a shopping cart. If the rub strip is painted the body color then it would be easily scratched and thus have no purpose on the car.

Looking closely through the Speedsters, the only exception that I have seen is the Red SuperSpeedster. Was it a personal decision by the owner? Was it a repaint? who knows..... I certainly would not care if I owned it.

img_0996.jpg

-Luigi

I agree definitely that Aerobody cars look good regardless of what color the rub strip is....:upthumbs

I too have an Aerobody installation manual. There is no mention of painting instructions. However take a look at the pictures shown throughout the manual (like pg 23). It shows the rub rail in black.

My cars Aerobody seems to have been dealer installed since it is not specified on the Callaway Window Sticker and hence not a valid example of what Callaway specified. However, 91Callaway recently posted his window sticker which shows that the Aerobody was a Callaway option for his car. His car's rub rail is black. Speedsters were definitely Callaway installed Aerobody cars, the rub rails are all black except one (see bottom pic).

DAY10058.JPG

Keep in mind that the point of the rub strip, as on a boat, is to protect the body paint from scratching by things that might rub up to the car like a shopping cart. If the rub strip is painted the body color then it would be easily scratched and thus have no purpose on the car.

Looking closely through the Speedsters, the only exception that I have seen is the Red SuperSpeedster. Was it a personal decision by the owner? Was it a repaint? who knows..... I certainly would not care if I owned it.

img_0996.jpg

-Luigi
LUIGI, THE LM SUPER SPEEDSTER IS BODY COLORED AS WELL AS ALL THE OTHER LM'S.
REEVES TOLD ME THAT HE LIKED THE BELT LINE BLACK ON THE AEROBODIED CARS.
I ALSO LIKE THE LOOK OF THE BLACK.
BUT TO EACH HIS OWN!!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom