Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1989 Dash Cluster

V

Vincent Fortune

Brand new to the the forums. Heres the issue. When I start the car the dash lights look fine. When I turn on the headlights the dash lights go out. They work fine during daylight hours. Any suggestions??

Welcome To The Corvette Action Center Vincent Fortune!

I can't help you with the dash as much as vigman can. He'll see this post before long Vince, hang in there. And welcome to our community! :upthumbs

When you turn on the lights - the instrument lights are supposed to
get dimmer. Sounds like a switch or connector problem.
Does this also happen when you just turn on the parking lights ?
See if anything different occurs when you have the fog lights on (before turning the light switch).
Was this working OK before ?
Also - do you have a Factory shop manual ? If not, get one. It will save you a great deal of cash in troubleshooting you own problems over time.
HTH

PS good choice in year, model and color.

yeah, i think i had the same problem

but this was only lighting up half my dash

only one side of it

i bought a cd player stuck it in,, then it stop working , i took it out, and replaced a inline fuse behind my cd player, and it fixed my dash

so, check the inline fuses in back of your cd player,,
i think its the same problem as yours

Thanks to all you Vette loves out there. The dash lights work just fine during the day. i first noticed the problem when I lleft for work at 5 AM. No dash lights when I turned the headlights on. Later, when I got off work I had lights so I turned on the headlights and to my surprize the dash stayed lit. So thats it in a nut shell. I'll try your solutions and get back with yoy folks later. Again thanks for the help. Keep cruzin y'all.

In review

When your running daylight... everythings fine.

@ night you pop the lights on and the dash goes black... do the AC lights & other lights on the DIC switches not light?

You have tried rotating the dash dimmer... and no effect?

I think the dimmer ( Dash headlight switch may be out) that voltage is a reference for the dash ilummination( sp )

Vig!

Sheepishly admits

I thought I had this problem, then found my dimmer switch turned down. <<As VigMan states.

The light sensor adjusts the dash brightness for ambient light, as I found during daytime tunnel entry with sunglasses still on. For testing, my finger did not shield enough light to trigger (darken) it, but dark tape did. Mine works fine when operated properly. LOL

Just passing on the wealth.......

SO.... would you rather turn a knob or remove the dash?

Ya GOTTA do the simple stuff FIRST... then do the open heart surgery.....

Always glad to share the knowledge....

Vig!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom