Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1990 Battery drain

If your starter did click with your batt disconected you do not need a mechanic you need a priest. Lol.

I had a starter go on a different car and when I tried to start the car it pulled all the power from the batt, but I have not had one drain the batt without being used.

Re: Batt disc kills all

WhalePirot said:
You might check the supplemental restraint system warnings in any manuals for warnings, too.

Interesting. I do have a SIR code on the driver side now. I cleaned and rebolted the sensor, but the fault is still present. I think the driver sensor has failed. I realize they have power on them all the time, but I wonder how that would accelerate battery drain?

STill going dead.......

I went through all the usual suspects. I really have no idea what to run down next. Granted these things are going to draw current, but whatever is zapping this thing hits it hard and takes it to zero.

I know if I was driving it everyday I would never notice, but sitting for a week or so, it goes stone dead.

:confused

Chris

Have you done the test light trick?

( Hook test light up in series with one of the batt terminals????) Does it glow?

Try disconnecting the ALT feed connector.. see if that kills it!

Vig!

Oh YEAH

Maybe the reserve batt internal of the air bag computer is croaking.. it charges off the main feed... reading more...

Vig!

I do have an SRS failure (I think #26), that won't clear despite cleaning the contacts on the sensor and connection.

As if I don't have enough to bug me, the a/c clutch on the dually appears to have failed. I have been chasing another problem with it (bubba had been there and hardwired the cycle switch wires).

Arghhh,..

I did just get a sweeeeeeeeeeeeet deal on a 18volt cordless craftsman drill with two batteries, heavy duty 18 volt light, and cordless screw driver in a soft case for $99!

Rut ROW!

On a 93... a 26 is an OPEN in steering column circut!

Baddddddddddd news!

Vig!

I just cleared the 26 on my 90.It was tracked down to a slightly loose connector at the passenger side firewall.:bang

I don't see dat INFL REST light no moe.:D

You could also try pulling ALL the fuses possible that will leave the car in running condition. If the drain continues you at least know it's something that isn't going through the fuse box. If the drain stops, add fuses one by one until it starts again.

The first thing I would try is unplug both your under hood lights and see if that helps. If not I would get a screw type disconnect switch and install it on the negative battery term. The switch will cause your radio presets and clock to be reset, but it will also give you a perfect setup to hookup your amp meter. Once your switch is installed you can read how much current your car is drawing just sitting, I believe if is more than 50ma you have a problem (there should be no draw since your hood lights are unplugged and all doors are closed).
In order to kill your battery in a couple days I would guess you are drawing a lot more than that. If that is the case I would remove the battery and remove all the wires from your jump start block, which is located behind the battery, and check the draw again with all the wires removed. This pretty much removes everything except the starter, if you are below 50ma start
testing each wire one at a time untill you find the wire that is over 50ma, then you will have to find what circuit it is and what is connected to it in the manual.
You can leave the battery out and use jumper cables to hook it up while testing.
Good luck.

It was still dying when I was there. Did you ever figure this one out Chris? :confused

_ken :w

Ken said:
It was still dying when I was there. Did you ever figure this one out Chris? :confused

Nope, I just decided to smoke the clutch instead and create a problem I could fix.:confused

Now that the gears are in and you've worked on the rest of it, clutch included, what was killing the battery?

Nope, I don't know.

I tailered it to Dave's house and disconnected the battery there.

Won't know until I finish up with his car even how well all the other recent mods came out.

After digging that rat's nest out from mine, it's a wonder the whole car didn't short out and explode! :L

God, I'll be glad to be rid of all that extra stuff. :eyerole

Good luck (when you get around to the '90 again ;))

Chris, it's strange you're having a battery problem. The last month I have also had a battery problem. The only thing I modified electrically to the car was the shift light which I hooked up mid-Sept. After that everything was fine. I even went out of town for a week, got back, and it fired right up. Then, I only let it sit for about 4 days went I went to move it and ........dead. No clicking, no lights, no nothing. I got a replacement about two weeks ago. After a few days of sitting.......the new battery also dead. Except this time I caught it in time before the cells died out. So today I disconnected the power of the shift light. I'm not sure how or why that would do it but I'll find out in a couple days if that is it or not. Weird huh? What's with the 90's:confused

Jay

Damn! And I'm just gettin' ready to install my shift light. What ya do wrong Jay, so I don't do it? :L

Ken said:
Damn! And I'm just gettin' ready to install my shift light. What ya do wrong Jay, so I don't do it? :L

Actually Ken.....I have no idea:L The shift light might not be the problem but I just disconnected it to see if it might be. With it disconnected, if the battery doesn't drain at all over the week then I know it was the shift light. If it still dies.......then screw it.....I have no idea:L

Jay

You are describing my problem.

Battery goes dead in three to four days----stone dead. I replaced it once.

During the time I had the car torn down I never once put the battery on charge. It kept a hot charge the whole time and fired the car right up the very first time.

So, it is not a battery problem.

I am suspiscious of the power antenna. It makes all kinds of buzzing/whinning through the radio as long as it is plugged in. I know it has power all the time, even key off.

Well there's a lot of stuff I'm not going to have to worry about, that's for sure. ;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom