Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 1992 C4 Factory Wheels Clear Coated yes or no?

92AquaVette

Corvette
1992 Aqua Metallic Coupe
Hi.. I apologize in advance if this has been answered, but I just spent the last half hour looking for a definitive answer and can't find it.. so, either I suck at searching forums (highly possible, lol :L_) or it's not here..

Two part question:

1) Are the OEM 92 Corvette wheels clear coated?

2) What are the best things to use to clean them? (chemicals and/or tools)

Thanks in advance.. and again, sorry if this is a repost.. I couldn't find it.. lol

Hi.. I apologize in advance if this has been answered, but I just spent the last half hour looking for a definitive answer and can't find it.. so, either I suck at searching forums (highly possible, lol :L_) or it's not here..

Two part question:

1) Are the OEM 92 Corvette wheels clear coated?

2) What are the best things to use to clean them? (chemicals and/or tools)

Thanks in advance.. and again, sorry if this is a repost.. I couldn't find it.. lol

Don't know on your 92 but my 89 rims are clear coated. I had good luck following this type of process: How To Clean and Polish Clear Coated Wheels

Or, just Google how to clean clear coat aluminum rims.

Don't know on your 92 but my 89 rims are clear coated. I had good luck following this type of process: How To Clean and Polish Clear Coated Wheels

Or, just Google how to clean clear coat aluminum rims.

Well.. that's the issue.. are they clear coated or not? lol :upthumbs

No one seems to know.. but.. I suppose going with the assumption that they are.. would be the safest bet.

First, let me tell you a secret, i hope nobody fussy hears me but... i belong and have belonged to a lot of forums going way, way, way back to the early days of DOS when they were more commonly known as Bulletin Boards, or BBS's. Prodigy was real big back then and then AOL came along. Anyway, you don't "suck"... it's the search engines on these things that do. I always give them a good whirl, and for me, it's about 50/50. I sure do get a lot of garbage to dig through before I find something helpful. Life is Too Short to be wasting the Precious Moments of Your Life playing around with Search Engines (that suck!)... while moment by moment, second by second, you become closer and closer to your death bed... and you just might have these regretful thoughts, before you breathe your very last breath, "I shouldn't have spent so much time "Searching"... "I should have spent that time with my Loving Family and/or Dog"...RIP.

So.. Anyway... what was the question?! Oh, Yeah! uhh... I really Dig YouTube! You'll find Something there. There's always somebody, teaching something, and putting it in a relatively short, concise, sometimes clear, video uploaded to YouTube. You can SEE how it's done. Sometimes it's funny. Sometimes it's boring but interesting and educational. Whether it's my computer, my car, my spinal fusions, I can always count on YouTube to teach me a lesson.

If you want to find some really cool chemicals to remove the clear coat from your rims while at the same time causing the death of your planet, then go to Eastwood - Auto Body Repair Tools | MIG Welder | TIG Welder | Plasma Cutter | Auto Body Supplies & Accessories . Man, if you like Dangerous Chemicals as much as I do, you have to browse around this place. Everytime I do it makes my eyes burn. You can get EVERYTHING to Coat whatever you have with Any kind of Coat you can possibly imagine. How bout your own Chrome Plating Kit, Carburetor Refinishing Kit, Powder Coating Kits, Wheel Paints, Rust Control, and on and on...

Get Started Here: Klean Strip Aircraft Peeler Basecoat and Clearcoat Remover ESF459 Item #15278Z

I don't know about this stuff, it's just something I found real quick. I'm going to try it myself in fact. I like a kind of chemical I can spray or brush on that just eats everything up in every nook and cranny and that I can just hose off. I'm not sure if this Klean Strip will do that but I'll give it a try. I have a bunch of old vintage hubcaps to renovate and some have spokes and, well, lots of nooks and crannies that are hard to get to, or some kind of baked on finish that's stubborn to remove.

I think I'd also like to do something with my '85 Corvette stock rims, the 16x8.5's. They look somewhat dull and boring on my freshly, professionally painted, bright red, Vette. I'm wondering if I can shine them up like as nice as chrome, or maybe powder coat black (I'd try spray paint first to see how they would look). But I'm thinking that maybe there may be a clear coat on them that needs removal. The rims themselves are in perfect condition. I want to at least try to do some thing with them before hunting for nice rims I can afford. I want to stick with 16x8.5s because my tires are just a few months new. If I can get a very great affordable deal on a nice set of rims, say 17s, with fairly new Corvette compatible tires... well that just might beat the spray, eat, and hose method of rim restoration. Don't forget when doing wheel magic for your vehicle, to look at your lug nuts, valve stems, and caps as well. There's a great variety and them little touches can make a big difference.

Good Luck with Your Project! Post some before/after pics or do a YouTube! Don't forget your rubber gloves and let us know what kind of toxic chemical worked best for you.

Best Regards,

John

Thanks for the info..

First, let me tell you a secret, i hope nobody fussy hears me but... i belong and have belonged to a lot of forums going way, way, way back to the early days of DOS when they were more commonly known as Bulletin Boards, or BBS's. Prodigy was real big back then and then AOL came along. Anyway, you don't "suck"... it's the search engines on these things that do. I always give them a good whirl, and for me, it's about 50/50. I sure do get a lot of garbage to dig through before I find something helpful. Life is Too Short to be wasting the Precious Moments of Your Life playing around with Search Engines (that suck!)... while moment by moment, second by second, you become closer and closer to your death bed... and you just might have these regretful thoughts, before you breathe your very last breath, "I shouldn't have spent so much time "Searching"... "I should have spent that time with my Loving Family and/or Dog"...RIP.

So.. Anyway... what was the question?! Oh, Yeah! uhh... I really Dig YouTube! You'll find Something there. There's always somebody, teaching something, and putting it in a relatively short, concise, sometimes clear, video uploaded to YouTube. You can SEE how it's done. Sometimes it's funny. Sometimes it's boring but interesting and educational. Whether it's my computer, my car, my spinal fusions, I can always count on YouTube to teach me a lesson.

If you want to find some really cool chemicals to remove the clear coat from your rims while at the same time causing the death of your planet, then go to Eastwood - Auto Body Repair Tools | MIG Welder | TIG Welder | Plasma Cutter | Auto Body Supplies & Accessories . Man, if you like Dangerous Chemicals as much as I do, you have to browse around this place. Everytime I do it makes my eyes burn. You can get EVERYTHING to Coat whatever you have with Any kind of Coat you can possibly imagine. How bout your own Chrome Plating Kit, Carburetor Refinishing Kit, Powder Coating Kits, Wheel Paints, Rust Control, and on and on...

Get Started Here: Klean Strip Aircraft Peeler Basecoat and Clearcoat Remover ESF459 Item #15278Z

I don't know about this stuff, it's just something I found real quick. I'm going to try it myself in fact. I like a kind of chemical I can spray or brush on that just eats everything up in every nook and cranny and that I can just hose off. I'm not sure if this Klean Strip will do that but I'll give it a try. I have a bunch of old vintage hubcaps to renovate and some have spokes and, well, lots of nooks and crannies that are hard to get to, or some kind of baked on finish that's stubborn to remove.

I think I'd also like to do something with my '85 Corvette stock rims, the 16x8.5's. They look somewhat dull and boring on my freshly, professionally painted, bright red, Vette. I'm wondering if I can shine them up like as nice as chrome, or maybe powder coat black (I'd try spray paint first to see how they would look). But I'm thinking that maybe there may be a clear coat on them that needs removal. The rims themselves are in perfect condition. I want to at least try to do some thing with them before hunting for nice rims I can afford. I want to stick with 16x8.5s because my tires are just a few months new. If I can get a very great affordable deal on a nice set of rims, say 17s, with fairly new Corvette compatible tires... well that just might beat the spray, eat, and hose method of rim restoration. Don't forget when doing wheel magic for your vehicle, to look at your lug nuts, valve stems, and caps as well. There's a great variety and them little touches can make a big difference.

Good Luck with Your Project! Post some before/after pics or do a YouTube! Don't forget your rubber gloves and let us know what kind of toxic chemical worked best for you.

Best Regards,

John

Sorry if it has been a bit since you posted this.. for some reason, I am not getting the notifications in my email, and I forget to look back, lol.. email keeps calling everything spam, no matter what I do.. anyway... thank you again for the info :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom