Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1993 power seat problem

joesal67

Corvette
1995 ZR-1
The 30 amp breaker in the fuse box for the power seats gets red hot and they don't work. Seems like a wire is shorted somewhere because there is a big spark when you go to install the breaker. I checked the service manual looking for a wiring diagram trying to find splice # s211 Anybody know where it is located?? The manual says left side of passenger glove compartment but I don't see it.

There are some splices concealed inside the wire harness by the glove box. You will find a huge wire harness about 2-3 inches thick. The orange accessory splice is also in there with about 12 legs on it. Its a big job getting to it. Before I got too crazy taking the dash apart, I'd remove the seat(s) and check the wire harness under the seat that goes under the carpet, into the console to the switches. Depending on what type of seat you have. The seat could be pinching the harness against the floor. Especially if the seats have ever been removed before. I'd also check the wiring to the seat switches on the console. According to your description, you have a DEAD SHORT TO GROUND.

You have nothing to loose by doing this because you'll need to pull the seats to access the lower dashboard anyway. Unless you like standing on your head. Plus the side console covers conceal the seat wiring from the seat switch to the seat motor connector(under the seat). Pull the seats, FIRST! You'll be surprised at what you find. The screws that hold the side console covers in place are very close to the seat wiring too.

Good Luck!

I already pulled the seats and disconnected the seat switches so thats not the problem I need to follow the wire from the fuse box to the switch. Thanks

Welcome to CAC, Joe! :w You'll find quite a few people here who are knowledgeable and willing to help (as you've already encountered). Yea, it sounds like a dead short. Have you, or have you had any work done by someone else, done anything in the car recently where the harness might have been pinched?Keep us posted on what you find.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom