Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 1993 with 700R4

My Prozac

Corvette
93 40th Ruby Red Convert & 95 White Convert
I drove my 93 automatic with a 700R4 last night. I noticed that on the Interstate that when it tried to downshift from Overdrive to drive to accelerate I felt the car shudder almost like a lugging in the transmission. I know the 700R4 has issues at 45MPH trying to decide what gear to be in, but I have never had anything like this.

Taking off from a stop everything is fine it shifts very smooth and it has no issues going into reverse. The car has about 44k on the clock and has never been abused. The fluid is still red and does not smell burnt.

Anybody have any ideas where I should start to look???

With such low miles on the car it probable has not had the transmission to full temperature for a long time and short cycling and then sitting will cause moisture to form in the transmission. The problem you describe probably is a valve or oil passage in the high preassure side of the transmission being clogged. Yes the transmission will perform smoothly at low performance. I would suggest you take the car out and get it completely up to temperature by driving it for 20 miles and then do a series of wot from say 60MPH to red line and see if the problem improves. Pick a nice deserted road without any cross roads or driveways to do this and keep an eye out for the police.

My 1993 did the same thing with about 50,000 on it. I changed my filter and fluid and have not seen the problem since at 60,000. I am not telling you this is your problem but it definitely helped mine. BK

I am going to start with a flush of the transmission, that seems like the cheapest place to start. I did run some Sea Foam Transmission additive in it and that has helped but not cured the problem.

Thansk for the help!

I am not a fan of trans additives, and almost never recommend adding one. However, on low mile cars, the lock up friction material seems prone to an occasional chatter. LubeGuard makes a friction modifier that works very well, and does not seem to have any neagtive side effects. Give it a try. Only one though.

Question for Pete K

Question Pete what do you think about AMSOIL ATF is worth spending the extra money of standered ATF is good enuogh.

I am not a fan of trans additives, and almost never recommend adding one. However, on low mile cars, the lock up friction material seems prone to an occasional chatter. LubeGuard makes a friction modifier that works very well, and does not seem to have any neagtive side effects. Give it a try. Only one though.

Question Pete what do you think about AMSOIL ATF is worth spending the extra money of standered ATF is good enuogh.

Based on my experiences, no.
I would be happy to provide additional comments in a separate thread, but do not wish to hijack this thread. Not fair to the OP.

Thanks I start a thread then.

Based on my experiences, no.
I would be happy to provide additional comments in a separate thread, but do not wish to hijack this thread. Not fair to the OP.

93 MY had the 4L60E not the 700R4. Check for a bad TPS and current & history codes.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom