Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1995 LT1 rod knock

barefootskier

Corvette
1995 torch red coupe
my 95 lt1 has a rod knock and 106,000 miles on it. should i get a crate motor and if so where is a good place for a quality reman engine? thanks for your assistance.

unfortunately that is too much money. i can only dream. i am a mechanic at a ford dealer and we currently have a ford gt on the showroom floor that is driven by the owners son. sure would be nice to give him a run for his money.

I've driven 1 of the new stang gt's . . . they ain't nothing to fear.

Rebuild your LT1 and give that gt a real Bowtie Spanking!

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

6 shooter,i work on the mustangs for a living, and i agree they are nothing to fear. i was referring to gt, like the old gt40 of the 1960's. the 2005 GT is $165,000 and pushes 200mph. anyway, any outlets for street and smog legal crate motor at a reasonable price? thanks for your help

grapeknutz said:

just my .02 I've heard some bad things about those guys. Like they were supposed to use a new block and used a reman one, heard this from more than one person. Also heard their customer support is almost non-existant.

You might try Scoggin-Dickey www.SDPC2000.com Don't know if the Short block is still available but you can get a complete engine (long block) http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/123/products/92908/1996-97-Chevrolet-F-Y-LT157P.htm

:w

Im not sure if the engine is salvagable but if so just find a good engine builder and have it rebuilt.

There's a place called "F Parts Salvage" on Ebay that I check into periodically for all sorts of things. They sell used/reconditioned engines for our C4s, and are very reasonably priced AND responsive to questions. One thing about swapping out an engine with a direct replacement, is that everything fits and you don't have the emissions issues (crate motors do), and many engine rebuilders take forever to get the job done and charge an arm and a leg as they want to do this and that while the engine is out. It's a real racket. My C4 is my only car, and I use it all the time. I am not into the Corvette trailer queen crowd b.s., and I want to use my car. I would check Fparts: Their email is FParts@Fpartssalvage.com, or look them up on Ebay.

/s/ Chris Kennedy
Houston, Texas

There is another place that sells running pulled engines at resonable prices. They always have L98's and normally have a few LT1's. If you need any parts keep them in mind. Dino's Corvette Salvage. www.corvettesalvage.com:w

Crate motors under $5,000. for the most part are put together on an assembly line with little or no care for tightness of fit. My advice; go to the nearest circle track and see who consistantly runs the best, powered by a GM powerplant in the small block class. Cut a deal for a rebuild of your engine with that guy. Remember, you usually get what you pay for.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom