Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 1995 Right rear wheel hub

C

Corvettedude95

Hello Gents/Ladies, sad to have to ask a question on my first day of school, but I do have one. I bought my Corvette about 10 days ago, used of course and it didn't "run" like I had hoped. So, I take it to the Chevy Dealer to have a Tune-up, alignment (just bought new tires Monday) and to have the Mechanic give it a look-see. I looked it over and test drove it and had no issues, it's a '95, automatic with 80k miles on it; interior is perfect and the body has no major damage, only a few scratches near the rear hatch. (Carfax showed no issues). The price was in my range, talked the Dealer down another $1500 (tires would not have passed the state inspection if it needed one) and drove it home.

Anywho, to make a short story great, the Service Manager calls me and tells me that the right rear wheel hub needs to be replaced. He said the wheel bearings are "making noises" and I ask him why the wheel bearings can't just be replaced? He said because the wheel bearings can't be replaced, the whole hub has to replaced. (I got into a huge argument with the Dealership[Manager] paying for this work to be done, I got a 3 month, 3K mile, Drivetrain warranty; free)

So, is this true? I'm not Mechanic, but I know there are a ton of vehicles out there where the wheel bearings are taken out, "filled" with grease and put back in. The Dealer wanted $718 for parts and labor to fix this.

Thank you for your input and comments in advance. I guess I know why he came down on the price. Ha!

I love this site by the way, been viewing it for a few days now and I'm learning something new everyday.

So, is this true? I'm not Mechanic, but I know there are a ton of vehicles out there where the wheel bearings are taken out, "filled" with grease and put back in. The Dealer wanted $718 for parts and labor to fix this.
Front and rear hubs are " sealed" units as they are on many late model GM products.
Not rebuilable ; many have tried for a bearing swap solution but nobody has perfected it yet

The Dealer wanted $718 for parts and labor to fix this.
New AC Delco hub runs close to $500 ea ; no name hubs ( made in China? ) for $300

some time involved in replacing hub ; see link
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144562

I don't know what part of NC Hubert is,But in NC All Dealer vehicles must be Safety Inspected before it's put up for Sale by Dealer,if the Inspection is older than 90 day's at time of Sale it must be Re-Inspected prior to transfer of title/registration!~!!(Worn out Tires,Worn out Brakes,Worn out Suspension Parts,Burnt out Exterior Lights,Worn out/Leaking Exhaust/Faulty Emissions systems,Faulty Restraint Systems, and other Faulty Safety Equipment "WILL NOT PASS"!~!!):thumb
There are only 3 county's in NC that the vehicle won't have to pass emissions,But "ALL" components MUST be Intact!:thumb:thumb

This kinda BS P*sses me off, Not to mention gives us Reputable Dealers a bad Rap!~!!:ugh:ugh:ugh

YES,I'm a Licensed,Bonded and Insured NC Dealer and everything is done 100% by the book!~!!!:thumb

:beer

PS OZ is right on about the hubs!~!!

Thank you for the information and it's for one...the right rear wheel.

I'm right outside of Jacksonville, near Swansboro and about 20 minutes from Atlantic Beach.

Front and rear hubs are " sealed" units as they are on many late model GM products.
Not rebuilable ; many have tried for a bearing swap solution but nobody has perfected it yet

New AC Delco hub runs close to $500 ea ; no name hubs ( made in China? ) for $300

some time involved in replacing hub ; see link
C4 - Rear Hub Replacement - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Thanks for the link and I wasn't meaning to sound like it was an easy task, I thought I would share what the Dealership was going to cost. I'll go out on a limb and assume they will use AC Delco. (I will check on that).

As far as the dealership where I bought the car. I called the Sales manager back yesterday and he was literally arguing with me over the coverage on the Warranty. He went as far to say to me, "Just because I'm fat, you think I'm Santa Claus". To make matters worse, he asked someone in the office to bring him a copy of the warranty. He was actually reading, line for line, the warranty to me. He got to the part about the drivetrain and he obviously wasn't prepared for what he read. He got realy quiet and changed his tone of voice when he read, "all rearend parts, to include axles, hubs and all inner greased parts" (something to that affect, I could barely hear him). He then asked me, in a more mild mannered tone, "so, what exactly did the other Dealer tell you?" He said he would call the Service Manager and the other dealer and call me back; that was last evening around 5:45pm.

After a sad moment this morning (sold my '92 Mustang GT I've owned since '94) I called the Service Department and they said they were almost finished with my car. However, they will have to order the hub and won't be there until next week. I mentioned that being covered by the warranty and he said that he didn't know anything about that. I mentioned the Sales Mgr from the other dealer saying he was going to call them, of course, he didn't. The Svc Mgr said he would call me back. That was a few hours ago. Should be a fun weekend. :ugh

Thanks for the link and I wasn't meaning to sound like it was an easy task, I thought I would share what the Dealership was going to cost. I'll go out on a limb and assume they will use AC Delco. (I will check on that).

As far as the dealership where I bought the car. I called the Sales manager back yesterday and he was literally arguing with me over the coverage on the Warranty. He went as far to say to me, "Just because I'm fat, you think I'm Santa Claus". To make matters worse, he asked someone in the office to bring him a copy of the warranty. He was actually reading, line for line, the warranty to me. He got to the part about the drivetrain and he obviously wasn't prepared for what he read. He got realy quiet and changed his tone of voice when he read, "all rearend parts, to include axles, hubs and all inner greased parts" (something to that affect, I could barely hear him). He then asked me, in a more mild mannered tone, "so, what exactly did the other Dealer tell you?" He said he would call the Service Manager and the other dealer and call me back; that was last evening around 5:45pm.

After a sad moment this morning (sold my '92 Mustang GT I've owned since '94) I called the Service Department and they said they were almost finished with my car. However, they will have to order the hub and won't be there until next week. I mentioned that being covered by the warranty and he said that he didn't know anything about that. I mentioned the Sales Mgr from the other dealer saying he was going to call them, of course, he didn't. The Svc Mgr said he would call me back. That was a few hours ago. Should be a fun weekend. :ugh

Call the NCDMV and tell them you would like to talk to the DMV Inspector for your county!~!!
After you talk to him and he checks out your paperwork.He will more than likely "Jack them Up"~!! :thumb:thumb:thumb

NC DMV Inspectors eat at least 1 shoddy dealer a day just for breakfast!~!!;LOL

:D

Wow, that would probably give the Sales Manager a Heart attack.

You know, I mentioned the Inspection to him and he said that it passed, I'll check inside the car for the Inspection sheet when I pick it up, whenever that will be. We were in a heated argument about the car passing the inspection with bad brakes. Which the Service Dept didn't mention a thing being wrong with the rear end except for that hub.

I think I may need to clear something up. The Dealership where I got my car is called the "Stevenson auto exchange" and is one of 16...YES...Sixteen different dealerships owned by the same guy. SO, I bought the car in Jacksonville and the car is being serviced at the "Main" Chevy Dealer in Swansboro; about 14 miles apart. There is also a "Main" Chevy Dealership in Jacksonville. I took the car to the one nearest me; Swansboro.

The reason I mention that is, the Sales Manager where I bought my car, was telling me that the Service Dept's work off commission, so be careful with what they tell me. After I told him where the car was, he said he would call the Service Dept Manager in Swansboro about the car.

I'm still waiting, I'm calling the Service Department back at 2pm.

I would learn from this expierence and in the future even if it is a drive go see Junkie for your Corvette needs. He definitly seems like a A+ guy.
Anything to make a nickel....stupid. Greed is the root of all evil.

This can easily turn into a can of worms... These 'warranty' deals are nothing more than scams in most cases with pre-owned cars.
I had a similar problem with a warranty company when my motor broke...

It was supposedly under warranty. They refused to cover the repairs because I changed the oil myself, even though I had piles of receipts and records, they refused and explained to me that all that was nice but head gaskets don;t "just blow" and do damage. They don't fail according to the jackass at the warranty company....The only time this happens is when its been abused and/or maint had been neglected. My arguement was that all maint had been done according to schedule and I had receiepts to prove it. They would not honor those claiming that they could have been picked up from a trash can... Their final denial of coverage.....Abuse or neglect is not covered by warranty. I ask how someone could actually make those statements and go home and sleep at night...

They could have cared less....It took an attorney to remedy that situation.

2 kinds of people that should never step within arms reach of me....chicken s*** automotive warranty claims administrators and repo scum bags....

I hope that you find a solution to this without having to go to the extremes that I had to...

Boomdriver, I hate to hear that you went through that. You did get a new engine right?

As far as this ordeal, they are going to honor the warranty work. The Swansboro Service Manager said they are ordering the part(s) Monday and if I don't hear back from him by Wednesday, to give him a call back to set up the appointment to have the car finished. I picked the Car up last night and he couldn't have been nicer. Of course, he had no reason to be a Jerk and act like the Salesman in J'ville.

Speaking of that guy. He called me AFTER I got off the phone (earlier in the day) with Swansboro and he told me that he "got everything worked out for me, the parts will be ordered and I can pick my Corvette up at the Dealer anytime." YEAH OK YOU DID. I tell him that I'm on my way to his office to pick up my license plate and I'll see him shortly. I get to his office about an hour later, pick up my license plate and he says to me, "I'm glad everything is workeing out and enjoy that car." I said..."I'm trying to, if I get to drive it more than one day a week" and I walked out.

I won't be back, not even to the new car Dealership.

Boomdriver, I hate to hear that you went through that. You did get a new engine right?

As far as this ordeal, they are going to honor the warranty work. The Swansboro Service Manager said they are ordering the part(s) Monday and if I don't hear back from him by Wednesday, to give him a call back to set up the appointment to have the car finished. I picked the Car up last night and he couldn't have been nicer. Of course, he had no reason to be a Jerk and act like the Salesman in J'ville.

Speaking of that guy. He called me AFTER I got off the phone (earlier in the day) with Swansboro and he told me that he "got everything worked out for me, the parts will be ordered and I can pick my Corvette up at the Dealer anytime." YEAH OK YOU DID. I tell him that I'm on my way to his office to pick up my license plate and I'll see him shortly. I get to his office about an hour later, pick up my license plate and he says to me, "I'm glad everything is workeing out and enjoy that car." I said..."I'm trying to, if I get to drive it more than one day a week" and I walked out.

I won't be back, not even to the new car Dealership.

Thanks, and Good for you !

yes, I did get my deal resolved after having to get an attorney to pressure the jerks at the warranty office. I had to pay the charges and get reimbursed later. Other claims down the road were equally as difficult but less expensive. They never actually paid any claim fully...just what their "book" listed as the value or cost of the repair.

I am constantly amazed at how quickly these wanna be business tycoons treat their customers. Like this encounter with the customer will be the last...they make darn sure of that ! Repeat business (along with any honor and credibility) is lost to the bean-counting of this most recent generation of night school or online college, cheapo business degree educated (non) half assed suits that we've produced in this country.
These clowns get their credentials thru some online "university" or the local community college or some low rent nite school that passes out degrees as long as the tutition has been paid. Most are born of Pell -Grants that the Gov hands out to the unemployed or disabled. Pay your way, get a degree. Non transferable in most cases.
A "business degree" is bought, and these idiots are sorta educated in how to pinch pennies and screw the public to meet the demands of a P&L statement that they can hardly comprehend...Looks like thats what you ran into....a PP example of customer service. More like...'get the money and forget their name'.......That mentality makes me ill having spent my life in service to clients that would loose my number if I failed to take care of them. Damn sure easier to maintain a good acct with good service and a smile than it was to go replace the acct when they ran elsewhere because of poor service.

I remember a guy back in the 70s that had a gift of trash talk....one of his favorite insults was to call some wanna be businessman a "chicken shtt used car salesman" ! ! !

Glad they decided to honor their own contract. What kind of idiot would spout off and deny your claim without even knowing what his own paperwork bound him to? That would have been a easy sell in court.

Enjoy your car !

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom