Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 1996 Collector Edition LT4 Exhaust

1996 LT4 Topic

rockman1

Corvette
1996 Collector Edition LT4 Sebring Silver
Hello everyone. This is my first post. I recently bought a cherry 1996 Collector Edition, LT4. The exhaust is quiter than a mouse and I was hoping to make the car a little louder. Does anyone know what Flowmaster mufflers fit on this model year? I thought that it may help. I researched the 40's and 50's Flowmasters but it is confusing to say the least. I dont have the money now for a Corsa or Borla system but need to get some sound out of the system. I also dont want to go with a full catback system if I can just put on some new mufflers for a while. I also dont like the muffler eliminators. Also, if I go to Flowmasters can I still use the same Lt1/LT4 tips if the garage can cut them off and put them on the Flowmasters? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not a big Flowmaster fan. They are heavy and steel. I like the dual outlet stainless Magnaflows for about the same money. Your independent muffler shop has all the specs, probably for both. Mine knew exactly which Magnaflow to order. The sound was outstanding.

Thanks for the reply. Do the Magnaflows and Flowmasters sound similar? Can I just put on the 2 mufflers and get what Im looking for out of it?

Thanks for the reply. Do the Magnaflows and Flowmasters sound similar? Can I just put on the 2 mufflers and get what Im looking for out of it?

Everyone has a different ear, so how it sounds is a personal opinion. They sound similar to me. They can be installed easily by a pro.

Everyone has a different ear, so how it sounds is a personal opinion. They sound similar to me. They can be installed easily by a pro.

"Catbert" is correct in saying that exhaust sound is subjective.

IMO, Flowmaster and Magnaflow do sound somewhat different and I believe that to be because of varying internal designs.

If you like that famed "Flowmaster" sound, why not look at a complete cat-back exhaust for your 96. Flowmaster has that in its "American Thunder" series. I have a Flowmaster system on my 95 and totally like the sound.

I dont necessarily know what the difference is between the Flowmaster 40's, 50's, etc. etc. Is it that the 40's are the loudest? What do you have on your 95? Would I need the complete cat back system or just the mufflers?

I dont necessarily know what the difference is between the Flowmaster 40's, 50's, etc. etc. Is it that the 40's are the loudest? What do you have on your 95? Would I need the complete cat back system or just the mufflers?

The 40-series is the loudest of Flowmasters street high-performance mufflers but they have some racing "mufflers" which are even louder.

With C4 you can either install Flowmaster mufflers or you can replace the whole system behind the cats. A stock 96 with an LT4 will gain between 8 and 12hp with the Flowmaster cat-back.

The system on my 95 is a mix of pieces from the Flowmaster cat back, pipes aft of the resonator and 50-series Delta Flow mufflers. I had it custom-built that way because the engine makes 500-hp and needs a little bigger exhaust.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom