Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 1996 LT1 no start help please!!

robs02coupe

Corvette
2002 Torch Red coupe
I'm working on this '96 LT-1 auto trans. I was told it was a no start and I'm starting from square one.
First, it has been sitting for 3 years and the battery was shot, gas is all varnished.
I replaced the battery and have done the folllowing checks and troubleshot the following:

1. Measured the resistance in the key resistor (7.44-7.49)
2. verified that value by finding the two pin connector under the dash from the lockswitch. Removed the key and had 0, inserted key and had measured value from earlier
3. Verified all fuses on passenger side panel as well as all maxi fuses on both locations by battery were good.
4. engine turns over and cranks fine, all dash instrument panel function correctly
5. engine will fire (roughly) after squirting throttle body cleaner into throttle body.
6. 12vdc signal from fuel pump relay verified at fuel pump connector under fuel door for 2 secs without cranking, solid 12vdc while cranking.

This leads me to understand that the VATS is not the issue since the ignition would be disabled if there were a problem and that the fuel pump would also be disabled.
I'm thinking that the fuel pump itself is shot...anyone have any input on this? I don't want to do any dart-board troubleshooting with this and only replace what is truly wrong, not what could be wrong.
Thanks in advance all,
Rob

(snip)
I'm thinking that the fuel pump itself is shot...anyone have any input on this? (snip)
Rob

Have you run the fuel pressure tests in the Factory Service Manual. If not, run them. That will tell you if the pump is bad.

Check for dirty grounds and corroded connectors on sensors. Check the TPS to see if it is working. Be sure to clean the connector on top of the opti.

John is "spot on" with his suggestion to check and clean the electrical connector on the top of the Optispark Distributor.

The "Opti" gives the signal to the fuel pump to work. No signal - no pumpy.

I would then attach a fuel pump pressure gauge to the fuel rail and check for pressure.

Good luck!

:w

I did check for fuel pressure at the schrader valve and I had nothing...not even a trace of fuel. This car has only 28k miles and apart from being dusty and a little dirty from being in a garage for 3 years, it's pretty clean. I'll check the connectors on the TPS and the distributor. The gas is going to get drained and a new fuel filter installed. I'm also going to check the resistance on each injector and also do a signal pulse check with a noid light. I never heard the fuel pump kick on at all, that's why I checked for voltage at the connector under the fuel door.

Checking the codes came up with nothing...came back clean. I've checked for corrosion on connections under the hood everywhere I saw and came back clean. All fuses are good and clean. Battery terminals are clean and tight as well. I'm going to drain the all the gas and replace with fresh and some seafoam additive. Replace the fuel fiter and fuel pump as well if I don't get any other good clues as to what might be wrong. I've spoken to two other ASE cert mechanics I know and they are leaning towards a fuel pump as I am. 3 yr old gas can certainly jam up a fuel pump.

Hello all, it's been a while since I've been on the forums, but just for closure it was the pump that was bad..pressurized the lines and it fired right up 2nd crank. Thanks to all with your input. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom