Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 1996 LT1 problem getting new serpentine belt on

gms

Corvette
1996 Purple Convertible
I searched the forum and read many of the posts on installing the serpentine belt and thought it would be easy.
I bought the special tool and can easily move the tensioner thru the full swing and removing the old belt was easy.
When comparing the new belt to the old it is about 3/8 shorter. I purchased the belt from Corvettecentral.com

My problem is the new belt is so tight I can not get it over the last pulley. The alternator small pulley is on top so I am trying to put it on last.

Which pulley should be the last one to slide the belt over? Are there any other tricks?

Thanks for you help

I searched the forum and read many of the posts on installing the serpentine belt and thought it would be easy.
I bought the special tool and can easily move the tensioner thru the full swing and removing the old belt was easy.
When comparing the new belt to the old it is about 3/8 shorter. I purchased the belt from Corvettecentral.com

There are no tricks. Slipping the belt over the smaller pulley (alternator) makes it
easier.

My problem is the new belt is so tight I can not get it over the last pulley. The alternator small pulley is on top so I am trying to put it on last.

Which pulley should be the last one to slide the belt over? Are there any other tricks?

Thanks for you help

I looked at Corvette Centrals web-site and didn't see a belt for a 93-96.

Obviously the belt they sold you is the wrong one.
What is the brand and part number?

Don't know about your 96 but many of the belt tensioners have a line engraved in it's body so you can tell if the travel of the tension arm is in the middle of travel which it should be with a new belt.

Take both belts to an auto part store and ask them to measure the belt with a belt gauge. The belt inside length should be 67 inches. Have them pull one off the shelf and compare it to your original one and the new one.

Goodyear 4060670
Dayco 5060670
Gates K060670

Last edited by a moderator:
The new belt is marked Dayco 5060670
I found it at Corvette Central item 304564

What is the last pulley I should be putting the belt on? The alternator has ribs - so it is hard to get over the flange.

How can you see markings on the tensioner - it is down under the water pump?

This is the belt route label under hood
attachment.php

Attachments

• c4belt.jpg
    c4belt.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 148
  • 96c4belt.jpg
    96c4belt.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 187
Some people mention it's a piece of cake and some mention the belt recommended is to short.
Some people say let the belt sit in the sun some have said put it in the clothes dryer. :rotfl

Might take two people one pulling on the tensioner and if you can get the belt started on the alternator pulley, use a open end wrench or socket on the alternator pulley and see if you can rotate the pulley and roll the belt in place.

If you can't get the belt on put the original back on or get a belt .25 inch larger.

Goodyear 4060672.

You're not the only person who has mentioned this problem so it must be a GM tolerance thing. :chuckle

Belt

I just did my L98 a month or so ago. When putting the belt on IIRC. I started with the drivers side and put them on as I worked towards the passenger side. The last pulley by the idler was the last one I put on. I used a breakerbar to swing out the tensioner and it went fine by me.

You've got the right PN.
The new belt is a little shorter either because the old belt had stretched a bit or was the wrong belt.

If you can get at the tensioner pulley, install the belt over all the pulleys except the tensioner. Retract the tensioner all the way then slip the belt onto the tensioner. Then, release the tensioner.

Goodyear 4060672 works

I tried warming the 4060670 in dryer but still could not get it on.
I tried a Goodyear 4060672 and it was tight but I got it on. The 406072 was a little shorter than the old one I took off.

Not sure why the correct part would not work. I was able to move the tensioner all the way.

Thanks for your help.
Goodyear 4060672
Goodyear 4060672

Goodyear 4060672

you have wrong belt

when I bought my 93 the a/c bearing was noisy which I knew and was not a big deal. so with bearing in hand I dove into the job, my car had that belt. I knew while removing it that was not right and caused the bearing failure. so back to the parts store there the parts guy said that the belt was the cheaper of belts that could be used and he said he has seen them come back on the trans-am's & corvettes before. He retrieved a Dayco 6060673 we compared them the 673 was a bit as much maybe an inch longer. did my bearing belt slipped right on no problem. I will warn you that the 670 belt you have sells for $22.00 but the 6060673 you need sells for $63.00

if I remember correctly the last digits are the length of the belt

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom