Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1999 corvette auto trans Column Lock Problem

ob1vette

Corvette
1999 Torch Red Roadster
I have a 1999 auto trans vette with column lock problem. Four years ago column locked up and was "repaired" at local Chevy dealer's per recall bullaten. Six months ago colum loked again. Had to have car towed to same dealer and was told another recall was in effect. This was "repaired". Within a month the problem recurred. this time engine would start,(DIC message= "pull key wait 10 seconds and retry) but engine shuts down when trying to move car. Took car to another Chevy dealer in a town 30 miles away. They stated that neither of the recalls had been performed by 1st dealer. They supposedly removed the lock plate and replaced the column harness as per manufacturer's instruction. Within a month, problem recurred.
Any suggestions short of destroying the car??

I...Within a month the problem recurred. this time engine would start,(DIC message= "pull key wait 10 seconds and retry) but engine shuts down when trying to move car.

Ob1Vette,
Sorry your first post at the CAC is related to a problem you're experiencing. Have you tried finding if there are any codes in your PCM? I find it odd that two separate dealerships would be unable to fix a recurring column lock issue, particularly as the TSB has specific instructions for how to do it.

-Patrick

Ob1Vette,
Sorry your first post at the CAC is related to a problem you're experiencing. Have you tried finding if there are any codes in your PCM? I find it odd that two separate dealerships would be unable to fix a recurring column lock issue, particularly as the TSB has specific instructions for how to do it.

-Patrick
It does seem incredible that two Chevy dealers are unable to repair this problem. Unfortunately that is the story of my life. In my experence, car dealerships are only interested in selling cars. They could care less about their customers, because there are plenty more out there.
Thanks for your suggestion and your concern.

Hi there,
FIRST, correct battery voltage is CRITICAL to how the system works, so if you had to jump start it, there is your problem.
Second, if that is NOT the case, your harness and relay will most likely be replaced under the GM special policy, 05081.
However, correct diagnosis is critical to the repair.
Allthebest, :bang

Hi OB! :w

I feel your pain, I can't (or more like don't) want to relate the problems I've had with CHAMPION CHEVROLET here in Reno. Their service dep't. outright s*cks as it has been my misfortune to find out.

Have you tried the dealership in Carson City? Barring that, a call to Chevrolet is in order.

p.s. to C4C5 - I can believe that two different dealerships here have failed to fix the problem. I have seriously thought about finding a dealership in Sacramento, 2 hrs. away, to take my car for repairs. :mad

I feel your pain, I can't (or more like don't) want to relate the problems I've had with CHAMPION CHEVROLET here in Reno. Their service dep't. outright s*cks as it has been my misfortune to find out.

Have you tried the dealership in Carson City? Barring that, a call to Chevrolet is in order.

p.s. to C4C5 - I can believe that two different dealerships here have failed to fix the problem. I have seriously thought about finding a dealership in Sacramento, 2 hrs. away, to take my car for repairs. :mad

I concur. I am a new owner and have been thrashed by my local dealership, Ivan Leonard. When I first took it in for routine service, the service rep suggested that all the people on Corvette Forum and CAC were a bunch of whiney children and how they worried over their cars too much. I thought his comments were a bit over the top for someone in the "SERVICE" business...but, I soon learned that they were not in any such business. Took car in last week for a "red" fluid leak that I found on my garage floor. It was along the centerline of car and was a series of drips...not a puddle. So, clearly (to me) something was leaking when the car was being backed out? My service tech wrote it all down. He later called me and jubilantly announced they had found the problem...a leak in a seal on right side of differential. Four days and $500 later, I picked up my ride. I drove it all of 2 miles back home and parked it for a monsoon had set in here in 'Bama. Over this past weekend, I backed it out again to have room to reorder some things in the garage...and, found a puddle...of red fluid. :mad

Took it back in on Monday and their "best, GM certified Corvette repairman in the state" said my tranny was leaking out the rear out put shaft!! He was the same expert who said it was the differential last week. "Send money...$800... and we will fix it for sure." What the...? Last night, I poured a spot of tranny fluid and one of rear end fluid on garage floor. I keep a bottle of each on hand for emergency. Guess what? Tranny fluid is red in color and rear end fluid is more of a grape color (Royal Purple brands). I am sure you more sophisticated owners out there knew that automatically...I relied on the dealership to know that even though I specifically recall suggesting that it looked like transmission fluid, but I could not be sure. Is brake fluid red?

I have concluded they either stupidly or deliberately fixed the wrong problem. There was no "grape" color on my floor...it was red just like I told the morons. I picked up car today and am taking it elsewhere. Will NEVER do business with these people again. NEVER! :bash :soapbox

I concur. I am a new owner and have been thrashed by my local dealership, Ivan Leonard. When I first took it in for routine service, the service rep suggested that all the people on Corvette Forum and CAC were a bunch of whiney children and how they worried over their cars too much. I thought his comments were a bit over the top for someone in the "SERVICE" business...but, I soon learned that they were not in any such business.
:r
That makes me mad just reading about it. I can imagine your feelings are ... even stronger.

It just shouldn't be so hard to find a dealer with a good service department. It is sad, really.

;shrug

Hi pinky,;shrug
Yes I've tried Valley Chevrolet in Carson City.The first time they had my car for three weeks-- didn't get it out of their parking lot before the DIC message came up again saying check column lock. Turned around and left it for another week.
About two to three weeks later DIC message reappeared. this time cost me $150.00 to have it towed to CC. I called Chevrolet and was able to persuade them to replace the Body Control Module at their expense. This "seems to have fixed the problem" Valley forgot to re program my remote fobs so I have to drive all the way down there to get that done. It's hard to believe these people can be so ignorant.

It's hard to believe these people can be so ignorant.
Not hard for me to believe.

Don't make me relate the story of how I had to take my car to Champion FOUR TIMES because it wouldn't shift out of Park when it was cold (and by cold I mean, had sat for more than 2 hours) - because they didn't believe me. The last time they finally fixed the shifting problem but "drive" is now sort-of 3rd and "reverse" is sort-of neutral...obviously the linkage needs to be tightened but I'd rather just deal with it than so much as drive on their lot again. :mad

Update on Ivan Leonard Chevrolet in Birmingham, AL

I concur. I am a new owner and have been thrashed by my local dealership, Ivan Leonard.

Service manager called me today and apologized. Of course, this was after I sent him and CEO a letter setting forth my complaints noted above. Still, he admitted they screwed up and refunded my $500 spent on differential repair. So, ultimately, they did the right thing. Of course, my Vette will not go there again. I have someone else repairing the transmission seal.

Moral of story...do not accept shoddy workmanship/service. Raise heck!! Write letters to top management and threaten to post on this forum and others exactly what happened. Also, threaten to alert the local Corvette Club of their crappy service. Most businesses do not want bad publicity.:beer

LT

Unfortunately we are trapped by geographic circumstances here. The Chevy dealership is the only one in town; the next closest one (in Carson City) is 30 miles away (from downtown Reno, a lot further if you don't live right in town), and the next closest outpost of civilization is Sacramento which is often impossible to get to in the winter months (you have to travel 2 hours over the Sierra mountains and the highway is often "chain controlled" or closed altogether). So they have the old phone company attitude - "we don't have to care."

I knew I was in trouble when I met one of the local Corvette Club members and he was all decked out in "Champion Chevrolet" (the dealership) gear. Bleh.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom