Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 2005 c6 column lock

danno1400i

Corvette
2011 grand sport arctic white
just started having problem with "service column lock" and car won't start. had battery checked, ok, and had it fully charged. started no problem. what scared me was while driving, at 50mph, the message flashed again and stayed on. i hit the reset button and message went off. came to a stop, and drove the rest of the way home, no problem. will the column lock bypass module fix this?

Well, the C6s were not supposed to subject to that problem, but I know they are. I don’t know if the bympass fix works with C6s or not. Hopefully someone,who knows will be by soon to let you know.

Did you have the battery load tested? Sometimes these thing show up under load.

column lock

Well, the C6s were not supposed to subject to that problem, but I know they are. I don’t know if the bympass fix works with C6s or not. Hopefully someone,who knows will be by soon to let you know.

Did you have the battery load tested? Sometimes these thing show up under load.

i took the battery to advance auto and they checked it out completely, everything ok. the charge was down just a bit, so put it on charger for a while. read more on this problem, and put on the parking brake too. going to wait and see.

column lock

just started having problem with "service column lock" and car won't start. had battery checked, ok, and had it fully charged. started no problem. what scared me was while driving, at 50mph, the message flashed again and stayed on. i hit the reset button and message went off. came to a stop, and drove the rest of the way home, no problem. will the column lock bypass module fix this?

update on my column lock question. after screwing around with this problem for a bit, i talked to a few people and was advised to take car to a chevy dealer, and let their techs go over it. but the cost was a bit too much to handle, these guys want a ton of money. and even hhaving it diagnosed would cost over a hundred bucks. my last option was buy a new battery and give it a shot. that was about a month ago, and the problem is gone. must have been a bad GM DELCO battery. it worked for me! the load test at the auto part store was wrong, for the battery.

danno1400i

Tell me that this is a surprise......not really. Battery issues are not uncommon and amazing what conditions it can cause.

Tell me that this is a surprise......not really. Battery issues are not uncommon and amazing what conditions it can cause.

i just wanted to post the battery issue, after i've read so many comments about the problem. too often people rush to the dealer, spend a lot of money, and the problem continues. just a heads up to anyone who reads this.

danno1400i

I understand completely! And we appreciate the post. There have been many instances where people have gone to great lengths and expense to figure out a problem that goes back to the battery. I hope that people can learn from your experiences. Thank you again for posting.

The C6 is very finicky with battery and post connections. Those cable ends HAVE to be tight and clean,.....Or Else!

column lock

The C6 is very finicky with battery and post connections. Those cable ends HAVE to be tight and clean,.....Or Else!
just an update. no problems at all since i replaced the battery. it's winter here in ohio and the car has been parked. it's the wife car, and she goes out and starts it once a week, and run till it warms up.

Just for everyone's info., GM has issued a Technical Service Bulletin # 18-NA-346 on the column lock issue as of 11/14/18. I don't know if it's a "freebie" or not. I will check it out in the spring, or contact your local Chevy dealer.

service column lock

Just for everyone's info., GM has issued a Technical Service Bulletin # 18-NA-346 on the column lock issue as of 11/14/18. I don't know if it's a "freebie" or not. I will check it out in the spring, or contact your local Chevy dealer.

i called my local dealer and they sent me the info. this is not a do it yourselfer. and it is not a freeie. i don't know how to send the pdf they sent, sorry, but if you call your local dealer, they should help you out. the cheaper alternative would be, send for the bypass unit sold thru corvette mods and keep battery fully charged.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom