Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1st Gear Grind

J

JTJ

I've got a 2000 FRC 6MN which I purchased last fall--love the Vette. But I do have an annoying problem. On a very random basis when I shift into 1st gear then let out the clutch, I find that the trans is not fully engaged and grind the gears....any ideas on how to avoid this?

I've put in a new B&M shifter which has certainly helped but not totally eliminated the problem.

TJ,
I have not experienced the particular problem you describe. I have experienced something kind of similar, though: periodically, when I take the car out of gear while at stop light, the shifter seems to resist my attempts to fully shift it into first. I've found that a quick fix to this is to shift into second, and then try shifting into first. Most of the time, this seems to work.

Try it and see if it avoids the gear grind from not being completely in first gear.

:w
-Patrick

My first thought was that you need some shifter adjustment. I don't know how that works with an aftermarket shifter, but there is a procedure for this with the factory shifter.

Change your shift pattern by selecting 2nd gear first, and then move to 1st. Try this for false neutral shifting? If the sequence works each time and no popping out of gear, then I would assume no adjustment needed, short of checking for internal wear inside the box?

Change your shift pattern by selecting 2nd gear first, and then move to 1st. Try this for false neutral shifting? If the sequence works each time and no popping out of gear, then I would assume no adjustment needed, short of checking for internal wear inside the box?

Thanks--this has worked well so far!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom