Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1st start attempt after 15 yrs..

jims427400

Corvette
67 427 tripower,68 427 tripower,04 Z16, 62 340hp
Got everything ready for the big day, the 68 tripower has'nt been started for about 15 yrs. Had the halon from the 67 ready along w' the hose turned on. Several pops through the center carb, did'nt see alot of gas pumping into carb so tryed dumping a little bit by hand into main carb and still nothing but a pop or 2.
Only thing that I have'nt replaced is the fuel pump, and also wondering if distributor reinstall is slightly off. Did the #1 cyl. oncompression stroke, TDC on harmonic balancer, and pointed rotor towards cyl.#1 and dropped it in.

Thought I might get lucky this time ;help.. I'm not real good at diagnosing problems so any help would be appreciated.

does it have spark, I don't like getting zapped so I pull #1 plug hook the spark plug wire to it lay it on a good ground and see if it has spark. Have you done a compression test? did you have #1 out to be sure you were on compression (the ole finger in the spark plug hole)? did you drain,flush and replace the gas?
We will be having a CAC cookout sometime in July when I get my barn clean enough for company. ;LOL

Craig,
Negative on the compression test..Dont have a tester for that.
I'll check for spark tomarrow, was getting late today at that point..
New fuel tank and small amount of fuel w/ lead additive..
Fingers are too big so I used a screw driver and piston was close to the flug hole.
Cookout sounds like fun. Let me know when you plan it. Maybe Herb will bring the 60...

Craig,
Negative on the compression test..Dont have a tester for that.
I'll check for spark tomarrow, was getting late today at that point..
New fuel tank and small amount of fuel w/ lead additive..
Fingers are too big so I used a screw driver and piston was close to the flug hole.
Cookout sounds like fun. Let me know when you plan it. Maybe Herb will bring the 60...

Jim
the finger should cover the hole to feel the compression of the rising piston on the compression stroke when its on the exhaust stroke there will be no pressure; just using a screwdriver and the TDC mark you could possibly be 180 out. Cookout will most likely be the weekend of the 14th or the 28th
I am hoping to go to this event the weekend of the 21st
Craig sr.

Dang it,
So I suppose if I'm 180* out, that may be the reason. Can I pull the dist. and just rotate it 180* and reinsert.
Also still thinking its not getting enough fuel. Should'nt take very long to fill empty lines up to fuel pump. After cranking for couple times, not smelling gas or flooding..
Guess I'll change fuel pump to make sure..

Dang it,
So I suppose if I'm 180* out, that may be the reason. Can I pull the dist. and just rotate it 180* and reinsert.

Yup
you can check the fuel pump by disconnecting the line to the carb and putting a length of fuel line on the end and putting the other end in a pail or jar to see if it is pumping. Old school but it works ;)

L48,
Previous owner had removed the tripowers many years ago and installed a 71 cast iron intake and a big 4 barrel holley.
When I removed it all to bolt on the tripowers I did'nt look at the rotor position so was a little blind when reinstalling.
I did splash a little gas from the can w/ only a puff coming out of center carb. Going to pull distributor and rotate 180*and cross my fingers.
I think Craig sr. is correct, i dropped it in on yhe exhaust stroke. Should have used my finger not the screwdriver. Learning alot here..

Jim
the finger should cover the hole to feel the compression of the rising piston on the compression stroke when its on the exhaust stroke there will be no pressure; just using a screwdriver and the TDC mark you could possibly be 180 out. Cookout will most likely be the weekend of the 14th or the 28th
I am hoping to go to this event the weekend of the 21st
Craig sr.
Jim,

What he said. Unplug the coil then put your finger over the #1 plug hole and have someone bump the starter until you feel the pressure of the compression stroke. Just remember to keep all the appendages you like away from the belts.

You may have already thought of it, but a new fuel filter wouldn't hurt.

Craig,

That event in Ohio looks fun. Have you been previously? I'll have to look at a map to see how far Salem is from here.
:w

... I think Craig sr. is correct, i dropped it in on yhe exhaust stroke. Should have used my finger not the screwdriver. Learning alot here..

I did that many years ago too.

Now days, I mark the position of the advance with a laser (and a corresponding sticker on each fender) and then the poition of the rotor (with a sticker on the radiator shroud and the firewall). This way, I always drop the distrbutor in the right place.

J... Cookout will most likely be the weekend of the 14th or the 28th I am hoping to go to this event the weekend of the 21st
Craig sr.

Sounds fun Craig!

Next time I am in Ohio... I'll drop you a line.

L48,
Previous owner had removed the tripowers many years ago and installed a 71 cast iron intake and a big 4 barrel holley.
When I removed it all to bolt on the tripowers I did'nt look at the rotor position so was a little blind when reinstalling. Learning alot here..
OK thanks - Corvettes are fairly new to me but I have been working on Chevys over 25 years. Keep us posted on progress.

Thanks John,
I'm very fortunate to have a wife that does mind a few more cars.. Although I have notice rescently shes been buying alot of clothes and jewelry.
Her comments are always there cheaper than a corvette.
I think a C1 may be next..

Thanks John,
I'm very fortunate to have a wife that does mind a few more cars.. Although I have notice rescently shes been buying alot of clothes and jewelry.
Her comments are always there cheaper than a corvette.
I think a C1 may be next..
My wife is actually as crazy about these cars as I am. The only thing keeping me in check is a total lack of money and storage.
;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom