Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1st Time owner with questions

redeasysport

Corvette
1998 Pewter
Well I took the plunge and was allowed by my wife to buy a 93 coupe with 155k for $7000 as a christmas present:D . Obviously a car with this many miles will have some issues but overall it is in good shape,strong engine, no smoke,1 tear in the drivers seat and a few paint chips. I have already started addressing the issues and got a factory manual and other books.I changed the wires(shot) plugs(half carboned up)and all the filters. I still have a problem it is a hard starter gotta turn it over for about 30sec and idle if rough for about 20sec then it smoothes out and purrs.Had it in triple digits today so it moves fine when warm.I suspect either a stuck injector or a bad fuel check valve.Any thoughts from you guys?I am going to check the fuel pressure at the schrader valve ( I have been doin my homework) but wonder how I can tell which it is either will show a pressure drop after shutting off the engine right?
I have also read the horror stories about the Opti in this year and was wondering how to tell if it has been upgraded with the upgrade weep kit or been replaced with out ripping the front off the engine? How do I clean the engine compartment? It is pretty clean but I want to make it better but am afraid of the opti.
I also have a few drops of oil coming from the front, TC cover? Opti? And what is the best way to address it. Not sure how long these enigines last and I really wont get it in triple digits very often if at all. Would it be better to rebuild when the time comes or get a crate engine( although I hope that is a ways off) and does anyone have any recomended Vette mechanics in N.E. Ohio.
All in all I really like the car just sittin still I love to look at it.
Oh one more question I see when the headlights are on the passenger door has a red light lighting the handle but not the driver side should it?
Well mabey 2 do you think I paid too much for it?

About your starting issue, it might be just the fact that it has 155k on the clock, mine will idle rough long until the coolant is up to about 125ish, I wouldnt really be concerned about this, but others might. To my knowledge with the right mainaince and I mean oil changes, Tranny servicing, and what not, you should probably see close to 200k is my guess?? Now to cleaning the engine, from what ive heard since I don't have an LT1, but dont use any water, that includes steam. All you really can use is a towel and water just in the areas you are working, no hose! Hope this helps you a little.

Justin

redeasysport said:
Well I took the plunge and was allowed by my wife to buy a 93 coupe with 155k for $7000 as a christmas present:D . Obviously a car with this many miles will have some issues but overall it is in good shape,strong engine, no smoke,1 tear in the drivers seat and a few paint chips. I have already started addressing the issues and got a factory manual and other books.I changed the wires(shot) plugs(half carboned up)and all the filters. I still have a problem it is a hard starter gotta turn it over for about 30sec and idle if rough for about 20sec then it smoothes out and purrs.Had it in triple digits today so it moves fine when warm.I suspect either a stuck injector or a bad fuel check valve.Any thoughts from you guys?I am going to check the fuel pressure at the schrader valve ( I have been doin my homework) but wonder how I can tell which it is either will show a pressure drop after shutting off the engine right?
I have also read the horror stories about the Opti in this year and was wondering how to tell if it has been upgraded with the upgrade weep kit or been replaced with out ripping the front off the engine? How do I clean the engine compartment? It is pretty clean but I want to make it better but am afraid of the opti.
I also have a few drops of oil coming from the front, TC cover? Opti? And what is the best way to address it. Not sure how long these enigines last and I really wont get it in triple digits very often if at all. Would it be better to rebuild when the time comes or get a crate engine( although I hope that is a ways off) and does anyone have any recomended Vette mechanics in N.E. Ohio.
All in all I really like the car just sittin still I love to look at it.
Oh one more question I see when the headlights are on the passenger door has a red light lighting the handle but not the driver side should it?
Well mabey 2 do you think I paid too much for it?

Last item first.... probably a little high, but not bad.
Secondly, welcome to "the club"... you'll find that owning a Corvette is not a destination, but a journey (and a pretty fun one at that). Now... you're on the right track with looking a fuel pressure. You can isolate the pump from the injectors by pressurizing the system, then clamping off both flexible lines. If the pressure drops, then you know it's in the injector rail, if not, you can be it's the check valve in the fuel pump (most common cause). As to your oil leak, the easiest way to tell where it's coming from is to use UV tracer dye (that's how I do it). With the high miles, the timing cover isn't out of the realm of possibility, but look closely at the valve covers and intake manifold gaskets. As far as cleaning the engine? Be VERY careful (pressure washing is a no-no!), especially towards the front. You can get a look at the Opti with a mirror, but it's still kind of hard to see for some..look for a vent hose towards the bottom to see if it's been changed. If there's a new water pump on the front, it's a good bet there's a new Opti there too. Miles aren't excessively high, providing it's been properly maintained, and I've seen LT1's go over 200,000, it all depends on how you treat it. I hope I've been able to answer your questions. :)

I'll jump in here - welcome to the CAC.

First, oil leaks:
1. LT1's are known for oil leaks from the intake manifold front and rear seals.
2. The Opti and/or water pump drive shaft seals are good places for leaks.

Washing the motor:
Don't use the water hose on an LT1 - especially around the front of the motor (you can get way with hosing some places in the engine compartment if you are careful - keep a hair dryer handy). Lots of water or water under pressure will surely get into the Opti and that ain't good.

I use a bucket of soapy water (Simple Green), a bottle brush and some rags - and a blower or air compressor. I wipe and brush the motor and engine compartment with the soapy water, then blow the excess water off with air. Rinse as necessary and blow some more. If I'm doing a real fancy show, I'll even put it up on ramps and wash the bottom to. Yuck!

If the motor even hints of sputtering or not wanting to start afterward, put the hair on max heat and point it at the Opti for 30 minutes to an hour. Many times that is enough to dry it out and keep from hurting it (I've had to do that once in 13 years.)

Rebuild or crate - no clue. Depends on the time and money you want to invest and whether you want to keep the original motor in the car (that can be very important to future buyers).

Check the History!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi

First of all good luck with your new vette.

What l would do is pull a car-fax and see if anything was done and at what mileage. This will give you an idea if this shows up. If the car-fax shows what dealer if any worked on it, they will have records on what they did and when it was done.

If the car-fax lists a dealer drive over and give them your vin# and they will be able to help you.

As far as value, that's tough because l have not seen a 93 with that much mileage at auction (dealer auction).

To figure out the approx value would be like mental masterbation, but the price seems fair if it was maintained. I would guess you bought it from a private party. If you have to put into it another $1500 you would be still ok as long as that's it.

For $8500 you can not get a 300hp vette in excellent condition that is a late C4. If you do not have sportseats you can get good looking seat covers which l would recommend and keep the weatherstripping moist. There is a tube of a grease that will keep the weather stripping in good condition.

I hope you love this vette because you will have a hard time selling it when you pass 200,000 miles unless you do some expensive repairs and at that time you will have to judge is it worth it and step out for vette with under 90,000 miles (only kidding).

Just enjoy it and for the time being just drive that sucker!

As far as the leaks l believe they all leak somewhat or will shortly.

Alan

Congrats on the car :beer You cant get a better Christmas gift then that:D DO NOT GET THE FRONT OF THAT MOTOR WET!!!! That optispark is very expensive $300 to $700. You can wash the other stuff but don't drownd it. I was given the sugestion of a squirt bottle to wash with.

Mine will idle rough for about 2-5 minutes till all the fluids start to get warm. Good Luck and save the wave:w

I am going to check the fuel pressure at the schrader valve ( I have been doin my homework) but wonder how I can tell which it is either will show a pressure drop after shutting off the engine right?
Hi Easy, with the pressure gauge on, turn the ignition to the on position, you should hear the pump run for a couple of seconds and the pressure should come up to 35-40 psi right away. If it doesn't, suspect a fuel pump relay (accounts for the long crank, oil pressure is turning the pump on). If you hear the pump run but no pressure, the check valve in the pump may be leaking.

Once you have pressure showing, turn the key off, the gauge should show the pressure holding fairly steady. If it drops real quick, again, suspect the fuel pump check valve. If the pressure stays up when you pinch the supply line off, the pump is leaking back for sure.

Hope this helps ... Ron ... :beer

Got a Carfax but no data on when or where it was worked on. I believe it was taken care of until the last 4 yrs it came from the original owner but he put 80,000 miles on in the last 4 years(wonder where he was driving to) so I would assume they are highway miles. I am sure he got rid of it because of the nickle and dime effect already got about $850 in new tires and tune up I know it is a bad thing to use stop leak but am considering it since as you say it won't be saleable after 200k planed on givin it to the boy when he learns to take care of a car better than he does now which will probably be a few years. What about the red door light

redeasysport said:
Well I took the plunge and was allowed by my wife to buy a 93 coupe with 155k for $7000 as a christmas present:D

congrats on being a vette owner. Now and then a wife can be pretty good .:) Something I learned about the feul pumps. Try turning the key on , waiting till you hear the pump quite or about 5 seconds before you start to crank. If it starts much quicker the feul pump is an issue. I always do this with my 201100 mile Riv. helps a lot. As long as it runs I will leave the pump. What you paid for the car seems a fair price as long as you keep it long enough. If the last 80000 miles were road miles, I wouldn't be concerned about high miles at all.
:w

Yes I tryed the turn on and wait thing I can hear the pump I believe but it still is stubborn although some times (rarely) it starts well. I plan on having the nicest 200k+ vette anyone ever had.I will be using this forum I am sure so watch my ID as I will update the milage as it goes up.Like I said motor is quiet no smoke and it will zip along very well but I am not a racer just gonna show it for what it is a clean high mile car that will still turn heads

Nice. Real nice, and welcome!

redeasysport said:
Well I took the plunge and was allowed by my wife to buy a 93 coupe with 155k for $7000 as a christmas present:D . Obviously a car with this many miles will have some issues but overall it is in good shape,strong engine, no smoke,1 tear in the drivers seat and a few paint chips.

Sounds exactly like my car I bought 2 months ago. Although it is an 87, it has 140k on it after driving 5k in the last 2 months(long road trip after purchase). Good engine, no smoke, tear in the driver's seat on the left side where a person would get in and their butt would hit, and yes the paint chips.

But it still gives me a smile from ear to ear everyday I drive it. I'm hoping it does the same to you. And I have to say, you have one lucky son to be able to inherit a vette someday. I had to grow up watching my father, uncle, and grandfather drive vettes and sell them. And I inherited a 1984 chevy citation! go figure. lol...

But It all evens out!
enjoy the vette!
shane

:) Hello and welcome to the Corvette Action Center.....Congrats on the Vette.....Enjoy!! Oh and watch those tripple digits.....they can backfire on you ;)

Looks like a very nice, clean car. I'd say you stole it for $7k.
Good luck, and welcome.

I am still wondering about the Red Backlight over the door handle at night? Is it supposed to be on both doors or just the passenger door?

I don't know about yours but my 90 has lights in both doors .:w

yep a red or orange color to it. There is also a light in the mirror that shines on the shifter area.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom