Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2 newbie questions

Dukeallen

Corvette
1989 Bright Red Coupe
We've only had the 89 coupe home a few days, and today was my first chance to really play around with it. I tried taking the top off, it wouldn't budge! I loosened the 4 bolts shown in the owners manual, the 2 in rear even came completely out, and nothing. I pulled as hard as I could and the car was rocking, but that sucker wouldn't move AT ALL. The guy I bought it from had it out and showed me how to put it back on, so I know it aint glued on, but what am I missing???:confused
Second, the right rear speaker hisses and pops. I don't listen to the radio a lot and want to keep it simple and original by just replacing them with the same type or having these rebuilt, but how the hell do I remove it without messing it up? I found the page at Factory Car Audio Repair For All Makes and Models - Corvette Stereo Removal - BOSE Car Stereo, Speaker / Amplifier Repair but the page on removing rear speakers in a coupe doesn't show ANYTHING!
Any help will be appreciated! Thanks
:w

We've only had the 89 coupe home a few days, and today was my first chance to really play around with it. I tried taking the top off, it wouldn't budge! I loosened the 4 bolts shown in the owners manual, the 2 in rear even came completely out, and nothing. I pulled as hard as I could and the car was rocking, but that sucker wouldn't move AT ALL. The guy I bought it from had it out and showed me how to put it back on, so I know it aint glued on, but what am I missing???:confused
Second, the right rear speaker hisses and pops. I don't listen to the radio a lot and want to keep it simple and original by just replacing them with the same type or having these rebuilt, but how the hell do I remove it without messing it up? I found the page at Factory Car Audio Repair For All Makes and Models - Corvette Stereo Removal - BOSE Car Stereo, Speaker / Amplifier Repair but the page on removing rear speakers in a coupe doesn't show ANYTHING!
Any help will be appreciated! Thanks
:w

The roof panel bolts are just bolts that have to be completely unscrewed. Make certain that your tool is fitting inside the bolthead and unscrewing. Its easy to miss the front bolts with the long torx tool.
I forget the exact stock arrangement...but mine are just bolts hidden inside the trim panel. The fronts do not come out, just unscrew until you feel them loose. Rear bolts DO come completely out. Then, lift the front up from inside the cabin....do all this with side windows down to prevent accidents. The roof-panel CAN be sticky and hard to lift up sometimes. It IS a part of the frame, so the 4 bolts have to be secure and they do pull it tight in place. You may want to wipe the weatherstrip seals down with armour-all after you get it off so that it does not stick quite as much. Cold weather owners do that to door seals as well. BEWARE ! the car will NOT hold the road as well without the roof panel inplace, so limit your "spirited" driving when topless. The back end tends to slide out in corners or curves without the roof attached.

Regarding the speaker, the speaker itself is in a box, that is mounted under the carpet. Trim, carpet has to be removed to access it. Taking the speaker grill off will give you some idea of what to do next. I've done a front before, and it was challenging....
The wiring is routed from the stereo to the right side of the tunnel straight back to the wall behind the seats where it splits to either rear speaker and/or antenna.
You might want to find a Factory Service manual. They are for sale on Fee-Bay used for approx $75 for the 2 book set, or new for $150. Absolutely priceless as far as maint and at home repair jobs.

Thanks, I think the high temp and high humidity were probably working against me with that top.
I suspected as much on the speaker as far as taking out the trim and carpet, but I wanted to hear from someone who'd been there before I messed something up. I plan to listen to the L98 more than the radio anyway!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom