Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2 Questions Drains and Gauges (Analog)

BigRed

Corvette
1985 Bright Red Rocket
I was just roaming through Ecklers and I came across "Rear Hatch Drains" for about 12 bucks US now Im thinking I gotta drill a hole in my body here am I right?

I really don't mind however Id like to hear from someone who's done the procedure before because the water that remains in the Pillar/hatch area is really eating my hatch seal...Like bad I have to replace it anyway but I won't until this problem is resolved or until money permits (Trying to get the car ready for mod's in the next couple years)

Now the second part, In the future I want to put on the pillar gauges (which will include Boost for sure) I have to come up with another (Dunno about NOS) But I think I want to see this Digital Cluster take a hike. Is there a replacement Analog (Needle) that will plug into my harness or am I going to have to run cables all over the place? (This Ive never done before) Also I'd like it to look somewhat Tuner/Factory looking (Chrome ringed white face or something)

First off, yes you do have to drill through the body panels to install the drain kit. Myself, I just use a towel when I'm finishing up the wash and wrap it around my finger while dragging it from the middle of the top on down, and from the middle of the back, forcing the water to overflow from that area. I then wipe it dry. Just fold the weatherstripping up a little to get your finger and towel underneath. Save your twelve bucks. ;)

The second part I'll have to leave to others; I'm a dolt when it comes to electronics (Obviously, if you've been following "My Engine Project".) :L

_ken :w

Try using a turkey baster. It gets most of it out.

Now sure about your 85, but there are two layers of glass you have to drill through if you plan on installing the drain tubes.:w

I have a friend that put drain tubes in the hatch as you are thinking about and under the hood. He raves about it but drilling holes in the car makes me queasy. I follow Ken's advise and lift the weatherstripping and use a towel.

Jeff, great link! Thanks, I not only bookmarked it, I printed it for reference. I like the set-up. :upthumbs

BTW, we're still working on the Code 33 problem -- slowly but surely. It looks like I may be sending the chip back to TPiS in exchange for an upgrade (a different burn). I'll keep you informed, I saved your PM as a reminder. ;)

Cool I added the article to my Fav list for a reference. Thanks Jeff.
:beer

Ken said:
Jeff, great link! Thanks, I not only bookmarked it, I printed it for reference. I like the set-up. :upthumbs

BTW, we're still working on the Code 33 problem -- slowly but surely. It looks like I may be sending the chip back to TPiS in exchange for an upgrade (a different burn). I'll keep you informed, I saved your PM as a reminder. ;)

Sounds good..

For analog gauges, check out the magazine Corvette Fever. Sometime during late 2000 or during 2001 they ran a series on this conversion. I think they have a web site.

Radar

Radar, would'nt it be sweet if it was a COOL looking premade that plugs in! LOL

Ya right :L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom