Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

200-4R tranny conversion

P

page62

Has anyone switched out a TH350 for a 200-4R? It's my understanding that it's a near bolt-on replacement, except for driveshaft shortening and yoke replacement. Or are there other spikes awaiting me at the bottom of the lion's pit???

lol....

ok i know this one from my 82 z/28. (has the 200Rmetric 3 speed) later the 200R4 (overdrive) these trannys in my opinion are junk. this tranny started out in (chev)ettes. the bands or i should say band in the 200R tranny series is very weak. mine was geared more for weight not umph like it should even with a 3:42 posi in the car stock. i went thru 4 of these, a fly wheel, 2 sets of trans mounts and blunderbusted the rear (2.73 rear gear went with richmond 3:42 from the axles in :) )after a season of street/strip racing. I had a bit of money in it trying to get it working but everytime around 6-9 months wammy 1st or 3rd gear would blow. I had a 2800 stall with manual valve bodies and trans kit.I decided to dump it. still got it needs rebuilding. don't forget to factor in i was in my late teens early twenties when i had this car running good for a crossfire car with stock low end 305 motor. Ran the dog snot out of the car. Thats where i got the love of taking turns in something that could handle them :) She'd run a 13.5's in 1/4 mile. the car is in resto now with a 383 block waiting with a T-5. (for now) I figure clutches for T-5's are cheap and i can do it myself in about 2 hours or so replacing it. any syncho's go up in goes the X gears. lucky i barter computer work for speed shop work :D

Upside.
i seen in PHR, they did a write up on the 200R Metric tranny (3 speed auto) with a company called ATI transmissions somewhere in florida. They ran the car all season in their division promoting buildup's of these tranny's for dragracing. it was an all steel 69 cammy running 10.0's. Seems like they are pretty hot cause they are alot lighter than the 350TH even with a "lockup" style that actually gives you an overdrive gear (4th).

They originally started coming in SS monte carlo's and i think 83-84 cammys then switched to the 700R4.

Check out this site, good info and they can tell you all about the conversion. Bow Tie Overdrives Steve Holmes is the owner, very nice guy as well as his techs. He even answered my emails on a Saturday as well as gave me his cell phone number if I had any trouble. They have everything you'll need too.

Before you write them off as junk, bear in mind that they are used in Grand Nationals, many of which are 10 second cars!

The 200R4 can be built to withstand a very healthy small block. I personally like the 700R4 better, because it is a beefier unit.

The upside to a 200 swap is that it is nearly identical in length to a TH400. The rear trans mount is only about 1 1/2" different than the 400. The drive shaft doesn't have to be cut. You only have to change the yoke on the front of the drive shaft because the splines are not interchangeable.

I personally wouldn't squawk about having either one. I think you would be happy with either.

tell ya what....

jsimpson,
i got a 200 metric (3 speed) i'll give ya! :L i just never had luck with it. then again i do race it alot! read my post. i know about these tranny's

i seen in PHR, they did a write up on the 200R Metric tranny (3 speed auto) with a company called ATI transmissions somewhere in florida. They ran the car all season in their division promoting buildup's of these tranny's for dragracing. it was an all steel 69 cammy running 10.0's. Seems like they are pretty hot cause they are alot lighter than the 350TH even with a "lockup" style that actually gives you an overdrive gear (4th).
and yes mine has been built 4 times over by a notable tranny shop for hi-po stuff around baltimore area. this was 10 years ago though, but seriously this tranny started out in a chevette so don't fool yourself unless you wanna spend alot of denero :)

rpounds,
yes your right the 700R4 is a better unit but unfortunatly if you race alot 1st gear goes out easily. i've seen that happen alot in F-Bodies but they can be built to withstand alot more!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom