Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2001 Steering Column Locked-Up

Jim Cole

Corvette
2002 Triple Black Convertible
I have had the recall done on my 2001 Corvette but the other day it locked again. Had it taken to the dealer on a flat-bed, they fixed the codes but couldn't figure out how they fixed the column lock. If it happens again is there any fix?

Jim,
Get the CLBP from Corvettes of Houston. I installed one myself, it's not hard at all AND the peace of mind IS WORTH EVERY CENT (4995 of them). I'm no wrench and I installed mine in 45 minutes!!
Dave

If they had done the column lock recall, there is no way the column could have physically locked again. The recall involves installing a lock plate with no holes for the lock pin to go into.

If the locking motor hangs up, it will disable the fuel pump, but will not lock the steering column. I would start to suspect the dealership has not actually done the recall at all and just claimed they did. I would have a different dealer confirm the fix.
The column lock bypass only works on M6 vehicles, not on A4's. So if you have a manual 6 speed, get the CLBP.

The first time they will just reflash the computer. the second time if it is an auto they will put in a K harness...
Sometimes wthey will change the lock plate .. but not usually i'm told...

Thanks 88, just don't understand why there hasn't been a class action suit against GM

hi, just got my 00 back from dealer, they said they replaced the recall parts and steering column was still locked so they had to replace the actuator switch at a cost to me of $671.00 , this is rediculous. anyone have any ideas on how to proceed?
thanks, geno

Welcome, i've enjoyed both the Atlantic Nationals in Moncton (what a party) and the show in Fredricton (great people). I bought a by pass from Thunder Racing $55.25 tax and shipping part 99-c5 coll. tel 225 7547223 (toll free) Do you know Kelly Kelly from Fredricton ?

genokelly said:
hi, just got my 00 back from dealer, they said they replaced the recall parts and steering column was still locked so they had to replace the actuator switch at a cost to me of $671.00 , this is rediculous. anyone have any ideas on how to proceed?
thanks, geno

Probably too late now, but I'd have installed a CLB and saved $600 not to mention the repair you made will fail again as the actuator wears and binds, but the CLB should last indefinately. I have a CLB in my 01 and I passed on the recall.

Had mine done about a month ago. You could tell it was a hardware fix because the wheel won't "lock" now when I turn the key off and move the wheel. I was told the flash fix is only for manual's.

I found a dealer I trust and has done outstanding work for me and I have heard good stories from other's in the South Shore Corvette Club. He's in Bridgewater MA. if any of you are in the area and looking for a good repair shop and dealership.

Don

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I know Kelly, we live about 75 miles away and do the Fredericton and Moncton Nationals ever year.

My dad was born in Fredericton ,mom came from Halifax. Both shows are great and it's because of the great people of New Brunswick. See ya next summer. My car is packed and ready to head south for the winter,come on down plenty of room near the Orlando airport-Steve

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom