Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2002 Roadster leaks and noises

ckohlman

Corvette
2002 Convertible & 1995 Coupe
I have a 2002 6 speed roadster that I bought brand new. I have had serious water leaks along the top of the windows when going through a touchless car wash. I have to put rolled up towels along the top of the window to catch the water. The leaks seem to occur in the middle of the window and from the top front corner. The dealer has repeatedly told me that this is normal for a convertible. Is this true?

Additionally, I have noticed a "clunk" from just foward of the firewall when releasing/engaging the clutch while the engine is running and in neutral. Doing it repeatedly will not cause the sound. Only after I have the clutch pressed in for a few seconds and then release it does it make this sound. The dealer tells me this is normal for a car with a clutch.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone with an opinion or observation on these 2 problems.
Thanks,
Chris

dealers right on the water it says it in your owners manual. Even says it in my owners manual for my coupe. The clutch noise is also normal. If your not hearing that noise then that means something is wrong. Good luck with it!

-Andy

atmmac said:
dealers right on the water it says it in your owners manual. Even says it in my owners manual for my coupe. The clutch noise is also normal. If your not hearing that noise then that means something is wrong. Good luck with it!

-Andy
Andy,
thanks for the update. I was hoping that for $50K the windows wouldn't leak in a carwash. The clutch noise being normal is an eyeopener. Why does it do that? My C4 6 speed doesn't do it. BTW, I like the way the C4 shifts better than the C5. It must be that the trans is in the back that makes it less smooth than the C4.
Thanks,
Chris

ckohlman said:
Andy,
thanks for the update. I was hoping that for $50K the windows wouldn't leak in a carwash. The clutch noise being normal is an eyeopener. Why does it do that? My C4 6 speed doesn't do it. BTW, I like the way the C4 shifts better than the C5. It must be that the trans is in the back that makes it less smooth than the C4.
Thanks,
Chris

I know what you mean. I read in the book that if the car is pressure washed some water will leak into the car. I couldnt believe it!!

-Andy

Rain Leak in a Ragtop !

atmmac said:
I know what you mean. I read in the book that if the car is pressure washed some water will leak into the car. I couldnt believe it!!

-Andy

You want a top leak !! Try driving a British Convertible. If it leaked a gallon you were lucky

leaking convertible

I have owned numerous Vette roadsters and they would all leak;however, the C5 is much tighter and more "leakproof" than earlier models. I think consideration must be given to the water pressure that is used in car washes. It is extremely high and will penetrate the best sealed vert top, especially around the window tops. Personally, I do not use automated wash racks, but if I have to clean the car on the road, use one of the hand held power washers, but I don't direct the water anywhere near the top of the windows or around the back of the top where it joins the trunk deck area. You could get a complete Saturday night bath with the C1's and up if you happened to be driving in a hard rainstorm, but the C5 is far superior in this regard. I wonder how the C6 Vert will compare?

Ron

Mine leaks drops where the two seals meet in the middle of the window. If I wash the car and hit it with the hose water will leak in, but then again most any car where the window seals against the seal itself and doens't go up into the top of the door will do the same. As for the noise, I get noise with the car idling from the clutch. I think this is mentioned in the video that came with the car, but I never unsealed mine.

ckohlman said:
Andy,
Thanks,
Chris
First of all... I can't believe you put your car thru car wash! Even if you luck out and survive without scratches or other damage, your wheels are larger than the normal car, and if your wash rack has a conveyor you WILL scar up your aluminum wheels on the conveyor side. And thats providing your car is high enough to clear the inside rail of the conveyor!
IMO half of the joy of Corvette ownership is doing my own detailing. I pride myself in knowing that this one and my last '97 have NEVER seen any kind of car wash other than my own two hands! Just my 2 cents!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom