Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2002 Z with cracked Window Trim

charles2229

Corvette
2002 EB Z06
Hello Guys/ Gals
I'm the proud new owner of an 02 Z06. Car has 30K and I noticed that the window trim over the driver door is cracked, when I discussed with the local Chevy tech, he said he had seen it before. Has anyone else seen this? the fit seems to be a bit poor. Just curious if I may be replacing it more than once.

PS
Have had the car for about a month and wife is beginning to get jealous, is this common to vette owners?

Chuck

My 2002 cracked on both sides within the first year of ownership. I thought about having GM replace it but figured they would screw up something else (scratched paint or interior trim), so cracked it will remain. Appears to be a stress point in the trim and I am not sure of the cause of the stress, could be thermal or just body panel movement under loading.
Mike

Charles:

My '02 QS had two cracked roof trim pieces as well. My car just reached 4000 miles so I was surprised about the cracks. I posted this problem on the corvetteforum and z06vette.com. I found out many others have the same problem. I tried to get it fixed through my GMPP warranty and it got refused. So I opted to buy both black trim pieces from my local Chevy dealership and replace them myself. The over the counter cost was approx. $80.00 each. I took my time and the replacement went well. I reused the retainer that hhelps to hold the trim in. The toughest part wsa removing the black sealant (glue) that was used on both the retainers and the trim. I used a hair dryer to soften it then used the tip of a flathead screwdriver to peal it out. It's a slow process but I compete at corvette shows and I'm anal about stuff like that.

Good luck if you decide to replace it.

trebor
My 2002:
http://www.angelfire.com/hi/nicecorvette

Good Info trebor,
From what I've seen here, I think I'll go your way rather than let the dealer mess with it.... They also refused warranty for me.

Chuck.

Just want to say hello to charles2229

Enjoy and have fun, A fellow Jax residence.

charles2229 said:
Hello Guys/ Gals

PS
Have had the car for about a month and wife is beginning to get jealous, is this common to vette owners?

Chuck

Seena

charles2229 said:
Hello Guys/ Gals

PS

Chuck

Seems to be the same around here too...........I told her if my car had t!tts I would sleep with it............JK

charles2229 said:
Hello Guys/ Gals
I'm the proud new owner of an 02 Z06. Car has 30K and I noticed that the window trim over the driver door is cracked, when I discussed with the local Chevy tech, he said he had seen it before. Has anyone else seen this? the fit seems to be a bit poor. Just curious if I may be replacing it more than once.

PS

Chuck
Chuck, I have the same thing on my `03 Z I just put a little silicon in it & touched it up with a dab of black gloss & you hardly know its there Not a big enough deal to me to take it to dealer. Driver`s side also.

03 Z I just put a little silicon in it & touched it

PRPZ06

Can you give a brand or any other specfics on the silicon? Just maybe the name and I will 'google" it.

Thanks

Pseudomind said:
PRPZ06

Can you give a brand or any other specfics on the silicon? Just maybe the name and I will 'google" it.

Thanks
Its just Dap Kwikseal clear silicon in the tube from Home depot. Hope this helps.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom