Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2003 vette question

69cruiser

Corvette
1969 Riverside Gold Coupe
I am looking at a 2003 Anniversary edition to buy. On the spec sheet it say pilot vehicle Code #WD1 and containment vehicle Code #WD0. Can anyone tell me what a pilot vehicle and containment vehicle means? Thanks

It means it was one of the first units built - before they started production cars. They built the first cars in March 0f 2002 as 2003 models. Some of them became pace cars for the 2002 Indy 500. Others were used to hype sales.

Look at the last few numbers of the VIN. If they are prior to 0034, then it's a legit pilot vehicle.

Is that good that it is a true pilot vehicle? Do you know what containment vehicle means? Vin is 00009 so it is a true pilot car.

Interesting. A true pilot that was later made into a saleable unit. That makes sense if it was an Anniversary Ed. You've got a someone unique purchases staked-out. Does the seller know any history of the car?

Not really. In the research I have done, I have found out more about the car, how it was used and some maintenance history. From what I can tell, she got it as part of a divorce settlement and is now selling it, but to quote her, "I do not know much about the car, I only drive it once in a while." She knew it was purchased in Florida. Her ex was a car salesman and he located it for her as a present. It only has 12K miles on it and not sure how many it had when she acquired it. Looks and runs great. I love the car, but my only hesitation was the price given I could buy a brand new one for close to the same thing, but it would not have the history of this one.

Why is it unusual for a pilot to be made into a saleable vehicle? I have a 2003 with VIN 0018 and the same codes as the VIN 0009 car. Mine had material tags still attached to some of parts of the car (such as the convertible top) identifying the material as pilot material. I was under the impression that pilot car components were all made on production tooling and hence were considered saleable vehicles.

Hi, Your question about containment vehicles, the Corvette was held and used for pictures, letting the press see and feel. And not for "immediate" sale. You got a toss up, the price is high and you can by you say a new Corvette for the same price or alittle more. I guess it's all in the eyes of the beholder. Sure early GM owned Corvettes are rare and have a story.......but they did make 4,085 coupes and 7,547 convertibles 50th anniversary Corvettes. You have to make the decision. Me, I'd buy a new one or find a right priced 50th anniversary, there a few out there. Just my .02 , either way you can't go wrong, just going cost you alittle more $$$$$$. Best of Luck. Let us know what you do.Save the Wave.>George

davids9049 said:
Why is it unusual for a pilot to be made into a saleable vehicle? I have a 2003 with VIN 0018 and the same codes as the VIN 0009 car. Mine had material tags still attached to some of parts of the car (such as the convertible top) identifying the material as pilot material. I was under the impression that pilot car components were all made on production tooling and hence were considered saleable vehicles.

Lead unit build car & trucks are sometimes not built with GP3 parts and are not saleable. Sometimes Pilot build vehicles do not have all the GP3 correct parts and have to be retofitted if possible to sell. In the most cases the pilot vehicles are saleable and are just built before (in Corvette's case) the end of June when model change happens.

lt1george said:
.......but they did make 7,310 coupes and 6,643 convertibles 50th anniversary Corvettes. You have to make the decision.

Just to keep the record straight:

There were 11,632 1SC optioned (50th Anniversary Edition) Corvettes produced in 2003. 7547 Convertibles and 4085 Coupes.

Here's a link to the 50th Registry Database: http://www.50thregistry.com/database/summary.html

I don't think I would pay any more for it because of the history you've found on the car, but I would prefer it over others for the current market price!:beer

Why buy a used vehicle if you can purchase a brand new one for practically the same $ ? Believe me there is nothing like a " brand new " ride. You break it in to your liking with the knowledge that no one else has driven it, or abused it or just did not treat it like you would. Not to mention warranty issues. If you can afford it, GO NEW ! You won't be sorry in the long run. It's a big investment that you will probably cherish for a long time. Further, each year the cars have refinements that improve the total uniqueness of the vehicle.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom