Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2003 won't start sometimes, wait 2 minutes then starts

Gaming Glen

Corvette
1996 Grand Sport convertible, 2003 red coupe
My 2003 coupe won't start sometimes, when I try I hear a grinding sound (not from the ignition switch). I turn the key back to the off position, wait two to three minutes, then the car will start. General consensus was a bad starter so I had that replaced. It just happened again. Chevy dealer has no idea what is wrong.

I paid attention to circumstances but as yet have not found a pattern. It usually occurs after I had opened and closed the hatch before getting into the driver's seat, but I recall that wasn't always the case (I don't always remember the cases since it happens so sporadically).

Any suggestions as to the cause so I can go complain to my Chevy dealer?

- Glen

P.S. I already had the key replaced to no avail.

Last edited:
Could it possibly be a loose power or ground wire? Ya know, just loose enough that it's not making good connection and not getting a strong enough current to the starter to turn it over? That'd be my next area to look. But if they changed the starter, they probably had the battery disconnected, eliminating that theory.

My shop would give me the standard " The new starter is bad too, you need a new one of those'....I sure buy a LOT of bad brand new parts!

Grinding as I describe it would be metal to metal. Did they inspect the flywheel when they replaced the starter?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom