Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 2004 center console lid and trunk lid

yellovett

Corvette
1996 LT4 comp yellow conv, 2004 mill yellow conv
I recently purchased a 2004 convertible from private party, and found that the center console lid will only open part way. I can't tell what the obstruction is. Has anyone else had this problem? (btw, car has 6200 miles)

Related problem, when popping the trunk, the lid only raises about one quarter inch, and I can barely get a finger under each corner to raise it enough to then open it. Is there some kind of spring or something that should cause it to pop up enough so you can get your fingers under it?

Oh, one more question. The 'cowcatcher' scrapes with only minor speed bumps or dips at the intersections. The owner's manual said it's normal, but... is it?

Thanks,
yellovett

The console lid is on an angled hinge, when you open it try pulling it towards you(if you are sitting in the drivers seat) as you lift the lid. It will pop right open. The trunk lid on both of my 'Verts usually open only 1/4 inch or so. There is a spring assist doohickey that is sold on ebay. I have a leather key fob that I slide in and raise it enough to get a finger in.

JB.

Oh, one more question. The 'cowcatcher' scrapes with only minor speed bumps or dips at the intersections. The owner's manual said it's normal, but... is it?

Yes. Mine scraped so often the passenger's side piece (it is actually 3 pieces, one on each side and one in the middle) finally gave up and fell off. ;shrug

And...welcome aboard! :w

to Bugman and Pinky.... Thanks a bunch for the feedback. Exactly what I wanted to know. Guess I'd better mount some little wheels on the front air foil and buy a leather trunk opener for road trips. Not sure I ever would have figured out the console lid secret.

I've put about 10 miles on it so far, and what a change from the C4. Will take some getting used to. (but I think I will)

to Bugman and Pinky.... Thanks a bunch for the feedback. Exactly what I wanted to know. Guess I'd better mount some little wheels on the front air foil and buy a leather trunk opener for road trips. Not sure I ever would have figured out the console lid secret.

I've put about 10 miles on it so far, and what a change from the C4. Will take some getting used to. (but I think I will)

Yes I think you will...:thumb

The glove box lid hinge works in 2 stages, It has a pin on each end of the hinge that needs to be lubed. Try a small spray of wd40 on each pin. Worked for me.

Thanks for the info. I will give that a try if bugman's opening procedure doesn't do the trick. The car is currently in California, and I'm in Omaha (watching it snow) so I can't go check it out immediately.

Planning to drive the car home in May when the weather is better. It's kind of like waiting for Christmas when you're little.

The car is currently in California, and I'm in Omaha (watching it snow) so I can't go check it out immediately.

Planning to drive the car home in May when the weather is better. It's kind of like waiting for Christmas when you're little.

Well if you need someone to keep the tires round, I'm in Cali...with a C5 that currently can't be driven 'cause it needs wheels! I hate coming home and seeing it sitting in the garage...without ME in it!!! :mad

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom