Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 2005 Throttle stuck wide open

Chuck K

Corvette
2005 red vert.
2005, Z-51, 6speed, 22k miles
Driving the other day, I used full throttle on entry ramp (3rd gear) but not high rpm's, up-shifted and thought I noticed that the rpm's increased abnormally between shifts. Figured it was my imagination. Then it happened again when at full throttle, not my imagination.
Later on return trip the same thing happened again, this time also after brief full throttle but this time the up-shift did not cancel it. Took it out of gear, the engine was racing, (thank you Chevy for the rev limiter !!!) shut it off and pulled over. Restarted it & engine raced. Shut it off, repeated restart 2 more times, engine still ran up to full throttle. When shutting down the engine shook/vibrated a little strangely when almost at zero rpm's. Finally, I opened and shut the door, restarted and all seemed normal. (can't imagine that there is a connection with the door). Drove home cautiously. Obviously I am more than a little nervous about the next time I put my foot to the floor!
Has anyone out there had this happen with the 2005 LS2 or similar??
Any suggestions before I take it to the dealer for what might be expensive guesswork??
Thanks !:ugh

Last edited:
2005, Z-51, 6speed, 22k miles
Driving the other day, I used full throttle on entry ramp (3rd gear) but not high rpm's, up-shifted and thought I noticed that the rpm's increased abnormally between shifts. Figured it was my imagination. Then it happened again when at full throttle, not my imagination.
Later on return trip the same thing happened again, this time also after brief full throttle but this time the up-shift did not cancel it. Took it out of gear, the engine was racing, (thank you Chevy for the rev limiter !!!) shut it off and pulled over. Restarted it & engine raced. Shut it off, repeated restart 2 more times, engine still ran up to full throttle. When shutting down the engine shook/vibrated a little strangely when almost at zero rpm's. Finally, I opened and shut the door, restarted and all seemed normal. (can't imagine that there is a connection with the door). Drove home cautiously. Obviously I am more than a little nervous about the next time I put my foot to the floor!
Has anyone out there had this happen with the 2005 LS2 or similar??
Any suggestions before I take it to the dealer for what might be expensive guesswork??
Thanks !:ugh

Remove your floor mats and anything else you may have on the floor or under the seat. Also, open the driver door, move the driver seat all the way back, get a flashlight, get down on your knees and shine the light at the gas pedal assembly. Inspect the pedal assembly for any stuff which has lodged near the pedal. If you find anything which has fouled the gas pedal. Remove it.

Then road test the car. If the problem is gone, carefully inspect your mats before you reinstall them to make sure no part of it is interfering with the gas pedal.

Remove your floor mats and anything else you may have on the floor or under the seat. Also, open the driver door, move the driver seat all the way back, get a flashlight, get down on your knees and shine the light at the gas pedal assembly. Inspect the pedal assembly for any stuff which has lodged near the pedal. If you find anything which has fouled the gas pedal. Remove it.

Then road test the car. If the problem is gone, carefully inspect your mats before you reinstall them to make sure no part of it is interfering with the gas pedal.

Hib, Thanks for the quick reply. You possibly may have something there but I was under the immediate 1st impression that it felt more like a mechanical or computer issue.. I do have a 2nd set of heavy rubber "Vette" mats on top of (not snapped down) the originals. However, both mats lay very flat & there is about 3" of clearance between mat and bottom of the gas pedal. I just checked as you suggest, mat(s) flat, nothing appears to obstruct pedal movement, & pedal does have plenty of return spring action. Best recollection was that the pedal was in the idle position while the engine was racing. I then removed 2nd mat &Test drove, could not duplicate problem.

You might want to check and see if there are any codes that have been cut. Write them down, then clear them ,
to see if they return if the problem happens again. Probably a long shot, but it's cheap and will give you a baseline
to work with...........
Andy :w

You might want to check and see if there are any codes that have been cut. Write them down, then clear them ,
to see if they return if the problem happens again. Probably a long shot, but it's cheap and will give you a baseline
to work with...........
Andy :w
Dad...........Unless he has a scanner,he'll have to take it in somewhere and have it scanned!:thumb
C6's don't have user friendly on-board diagnostics like our C5's!

Hib could quite possibly be on to something, Mine got caught on a rubber-made mud mat I used to have in it on top of the factory mats.......................Skeered the P*ss out of me!~!!!:D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom