Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2008 Corvette Z06 Daytona 500 Pace Car Unveiled

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
2008 Corvette Z06 Daytona 500 Pace Car Unveiled

As if the 2008 Central Florida International Auto Show didn’t already have enough eye candy, automotive aficionados were treated to something a little extra on Thursday.

With defending Daytona 500 Champion Kevin Harvick at the unveiling, surrounded by Chevrolet, General Motors and Daytona International Speedway officials, hundreds watched the much-anticipated unveiling of the 2008 Corvette Z06 Daytona 500 Pace Car – the Official Pace Car of The Daytona 500, NASCAR’s biggest, richest and most prestigious race. The 505-horsepower vehicle, which has more horsepower than the NASCAR Sprint Cup race cars it will pace, was unveiled with the pomp and circumstance worthy of automotive royalty at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando.

"Chevrolet has been inextricably linked to NASCAR from its inception and we are honored to support the golden anniversary of the sport’s premier race – the Daytona 500 – with a very special Corvette Z06 Pace Car," said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager. "The Corvette Z06 has established a tradition in leading the pack at Daytona, which reflects Chevrolet’s commitment to racing and the fans."

It is the fifth consecutive year that Chevrolet has chosen the Corvette to pace the iconic NASCAR event and the Corvette Z06’s special "anniversary gold" appearance represents one Chevy’s most uniquely designed pace cars. GM Design developed a striking paint scheme with an exotic array of stunning hues of Gold, Red, Blue and White. The graphics scheme is accented with unique, gold iridescent-coated wheels.

"Talk about a ‘wow-factor,’" said Speedway President Robin Braig. "It’s the perfect piece of machinery to help pace a star-studded field at ‘The World Center of Racing’ for the historic 50th running of the Daytona 500."

Apart from its special paint and the addition of a GM-designed, integrated light bar and strobe system, the Z06 Pace Car is almost identical to the street version. A few of the Z06’s super car-challenging specs include:

· All-aluminum 7.0-liter LS7 small-block V-8

· 505 horsepower and 470 lb-ft of torque

· Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires

· Aluminum body structure with carbon-fiber front fenders

· Curb weight of 3,162 lbs.

· Zero to 60 mph in 3.7 seconds

· Quarter-mile acceleration in 11.7 seconds at 125 mph

· Top speed of 198 mph on the test track

To catch a of glimpse of the exclusive Pace Car prior to its on track debut at Daytona International Speedway on Feb. 17, 2008, visit the Convention Center Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m.-10 p.m. and Sunday, 10 a.m. – 7 p.m.

High Rez: Here's a new GM Media Link for ya...

GMC2007113043710_PV.jpg

http://gm.wieck.com/forms/gm/Vette50thPaceCar01.jpg?download=043342

Boy! that's.................................an............................interesting graphic/paint package. Probably won't make a limited edition out of that pace car. ;LOL

Boy! that's.................................an............................interesting graphic/paint package. Probably won't make a limited edition out of that pace car. ;LOL
Uhm, yeah, I think what Catbert's meant to say was that the paint scheme designer had a case of design diarrhea.:boogie

JMHO,
- Eric:w

Oh when oh when will they ever get it. That's just b-tt ugly.

Well, "b*tt ugly" is a subjective assessment.

It's a Pace Car. It's supposed to be unique and stand out easily in a crowd. If that uniqueness turns you off, well, I'd say the remedy is not to buy one.
:)

-Patrick

Since the car isn't for sale anyway...

50th Running of the Daytona 500: I'd say Gold is a good color choice for the Vette...

U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds Flyover to be part of Historic 50th Daytona 500 Festivities

The world-renowned “Thunderbirds” – the U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron – will provide race fans with an aerial spectacle during the National Anthem flyover at the historic 50th running of the Daytona 500.
NASCAR’s biggest, richest and most prestigious race on Sunday, Feb. 17 at Daytona International Speedway.​

That Daytona Pace car isn't the prettiest around, but I wouldn't call it ugly. It would sure get you attention, and after all, we all like that, right???

The Daytona Zo6 from a couple of years ago was really cool. I even contacted Chevy about getting one.

I guess I like the "different" paint schemes.

;shrug

Interesting color. Can anyone verify if the wheels are chome plated or gold plated or what they are? It looks like they're plated but not sure if the wheels are picking up the gold from the body paint. Could be the camera settings/lighting too, I guess. Anyone out there?:)

There has to be a couple more painted with that same color scheme. Back-ups.

2008 Pace Car

Aren't they making a 2008 black/silver color combo Pace Car to give homage to the 30th anniversary of the 78 Pace car ? Any info on as to when they will made? :W

I don't think they've ever sold a replica of any pace car other than Indy. Am I wrong?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom