Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2008 Creaking Roof

just got the call from my dealer the "new" latches are in - will have them installed this afternoon - also, plan on having them check for the AIR BAG coming on during my ACE "Toys for Tots" run

Good deal. I had had them on for weeks now and I just returned from a long trip in the vette and still no creaking at all.:thumb

taking mine in on Friday for the fix, or at least for the Dealer to order the parts, he will not order the parts until he looks at the car:ugh so I made an appoitment, hope it fixes it. Will keep you posted.

well, new latches on - drove on one of the many country roads from Gaithersburg to my house - about an hour drive with loads of twists and turns, bumps, potholes, etc. - not a creak out of the roof!

they also checked for codes for the airbag lite - one code set - P0104 - they reset it and said it was an indistinguishable code

Had both of my roofs (clear & solid) fixed by Viva Chev. in El Paso.....Took them about 4-5 weeks to get in the 4ea. handles. But it is fixed!

George Ware

Good deal. I hope that hey work as well as mine. I have had no sound at all since the fix.:thumb

Well I took mine in on Friday and when I got it back all the dealer did was lube the latches, I told him that the service bulletin said to replace the latches and he told me "no it said to lube them first and if that did not fix it the replace them". So I said ok and left drove around the block with the squeeking roof and returned 10 minutes later and told them the lube did not work. So now the new latches are on order, I will give them about a week and see where we are. The service manager said "I will order the new latches but everyone tells me they won't fix the problem" I said replace them anyway I hear different.
Hope to get them next week, we will see.

I'm sorry to hear this, 76okievette!

I had no issues from my dealer. They ordered the new roof handles without question, the handles came in, I gave them a copy of the TSB, and they installed them and lubed everything exactly as the TSB said.

One month later, the roof is absolutely silent, and I am very happy! :D Stick with it, it does work and it makes all the difference in the world!

Rick
Always Wave!:w

Well I took mine in on Friday and when I got it back all the dealer did was lube the latches, I told him that the service bulletin said to replace the latches and he told me "no it said to lube them first and if that did not fix it the replace them". So I said ok and left drove around the block with the squeeking roof and returned 10 minutes later and told them the lube did not work. So now the new latches are on order, I will give them about a week and see where we are. The service manager said "I will order the new latches but everyone tells me they won't fix the problem" I said replace them anyway I hear different.
Hope to get them next week, we will see.

Tell him that those of us who own Corvettes and have had them changed have seen the problem fixed entirely. I would insist that he fix them.:thumb

OH, he will replace them I am sure just how much BS I have to go thru. Will keep you posted.

Ok, good news, I got the new handles installed last Friday and not one peep out of the top yet. The dealer was real nice this time and it only took them about 45 minutes and I was back on the road. I have not taken the top off yet, weather is not to nice, so not sure if removing it and reinstalling it will cause the squeeks to return, we will see.
The dealer did surprise me, I asked him about the lube that they install wanted to have some of my own to put on every once in a while, he told me the correct lube was only available at the dealer and it cost 265.00 for a tube, sounded like BS to me so I just smiled and said OK.
Love the quite of the car now. Thanks all for the help.
:thumb

Ok, good news, I got the new handles installed last Friday and not one peep out of the top yet. The dealer was real nice this time and it only took them about 45 minutes and I was back on the road. I have not taken the top off yet, weather is not to nice, so not sure if removing it and reinstalling it will cause the squeeks to return, we will see.
The dealer did surprise me, I asked him about the lube that they install wanted to have some of my own to put on every once in a while, he told me the correct lube was only available at the dealer and it cost 265.00 for a tube, sounded like BS to me so I just smiled and said OK.
Love the quite of the car now. Thanks all for the help.
:thumb

I had my handles replaced about two months ago, and it's been silent ever since. The tech who replaced them was kind enough to give me the rest of the tube of SuperLube. When I got the receipt for the warranty work (no cost to me), it showed $17.00 as the cost of the lube.

Rick
Always Wave! :w

I though it was BS, did not sound right to me, Thanks for the part number.

Had the new latches installed 2 weeks after order. No noise since. Good job by GM in the new design.

I didn't want to take the car in for the creaking roof noise since the service dept usually manages to screw something else up. Emailed Bowling Green and they sent me the new handles. :thumb

Shows you what I know..I thought the creaking roof was just part of targa top ownership.. :L

thanks guys.

JB

I have both tops.(Why,I don't know.Seems ridiculous to me,but whatever)Do they have to do both tops?

Not sure but if both tops have the same types handles I would assume that you need them replaced on both.
I finally removed my top last Friday after having the new handles on for a month and still not a peep or squeek out of them. This is a must for anyone that has a noisy top.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom