Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2008 Service Traction Reduced Engine Power

dbarton291

Corvette
2008 Bright Red Coupe
I have a 2008 coupe LT3 with the LS3 engine and the six speed automatic. I've always had "mechanics special" older Vettes and decided to pop for a new one when the LS3 engine came out. It now has 2980 miles. Finest car I've ever had. Performance, fuel economy and cool factor all in one package.

Friday, shortly after going through a car wash and repositioning the tilt/telescope steering wheel, I got the dreaded ding ding ding. The DIC says Service Traction System, and Reduced Engine Power.

I got a copy of the service bulletin discussing the wiring problem that can occur when the wheel is telescoped all the way out. I gave it to the service writer when I dropped the car off, and he set it on the dash of the car.

The dealership called yesterday and said that wasn't the problem and they're still looking.

Anybody got any experience with this? Any voices of experience would be appreciated.

Looks like this is a continuous problem with the steering wheel. My 2005 vert had a problem when I tilted the wheel and the dic would come on. The last time was in the shop for 2 weeks. I also told them about the wiring problem and supposedly they ordered a new one that took forever to get here. So far it hasn't come on again, so
maybe it is fixed. I am careful now extending and tilting the steering column though.

I talked to the dealership today and now they can't get it to act up. Kind of an odd situation. I went through a car wash and then telescoped the wheel. Maybe it was from the car wash, maybe it was the wheel, maybe it's something else.

Oh for a lift and my own tech 2 with an update subscription......

I talked to the dealership today and now they can't get it to act up. Kind of an odd situation. I went through a car wash and then telescoped the wheel. Maybe it was from the car wash, maybe it was the wheel, maybe it's something else.

Hi there,
Which copy did you give them???
The one with the wiring repair or the REVISED CONNECTOR?????
Codes would be key here, as the code in the TCS will be there for 50 ignition cycles.
Just remember, that SWPS bulletin will NOT CAUSE REDUCED ENGINE POWER>
Allthebest, c4c5

Hi there,
Which copy did you give them???
The one with the wiring repair or the REVISED CONNECTOR?????
Codes would be key here, as the code in the TCS will be there for 50 ignition cycles.
Just remember, that SWPS bulletin will NOT CAUSE REDUCED ENGINE POWER>
Allthebest, c4c5

I gave them 06-02-35-002A. The one on installing the 19179794 clip into the connector.

You're right. That bulletin doesn't say anything about reduced engine power. That's probably not the problem. Thanks a bunch!

Got the car back this evening. No evidence of a problem. The dealership said the harness clip was already installed in the column. It had a code P2138 in it.

HI there,
That code is for the drive by wire system within the vehicle.
There is no special documents other then diagnosis charts for this.
The bulletin has NO bearing on this code.
Allthebest, c4c5

HI there,
That code is for the drive by wire system within the vehicle.
There is no special documents other then diagnosis charts for this.
The bulletin has NO bearing on this code.
Allthebest, c4c5

Yeah. I figured that out. Wishful thinking on my part that it could be a common problem, I guess. Just before the car acted up, I was in a car wash.

Yeah. I figured that out. Wishful thinking on my part that it could be a common problem, I guess.

Maybe some water from the car wash got somewhere it shouldn't have.

I did locate the troubleshooting info on this code. I'll look at the APP sensor, connectors, and wires myself when I get a chance.

Just a wild guess: Most car washes can't fit the wide C6 tires within their rails. Maybe that's what screwed it up, and maybe it's a one time thing.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom