Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2009 ZR-1 Taking Off at Laguna Seca

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Rob,
Aren't you jumping the gun a bit by putting a - between the ZRand the 1. I have the REAL ZR-1 and this new model will only have the ZR1. Picky, yes, but those who have them will understand ;squint:

• Admin
Rob,
Aren't you jumping the gun a bit by putting a - between the ZR and the 1. I have the REAL ZR-1 and this new model will only have the ZR1. Picky, yes, but those who have them will understand ;squint:

Well, I have one and the emblem on the back of it says ZR-1. However, when it first came out, most of the magazines were printing it as ZR1.

RPO ZR1 was available for ordering in 1970, 1971 and 1972, as was LT1. If you ordered an LT1, LT-1 emblems graced the hood. However, from 1992 to 1996, all Corvettes came with the LT1 engine, however, there were no LT-1 or LT1 emblems placed on the car.

So, after reading all the ridiculous banter on other Corvette sites about whether or not this 2009 super Corvette should be called ZR-1 or ZR1 is pathetic. And what makes it pathetic are these ZR-1 owners that feel some sort of offense that GOD FORBID GM release another Corvette with the same nomenclature because after all, "there's only one King of the Hill."

I've owned my ZR-1 since 1994 and I love the car and will always keep it, but it's that attitude I find from a lot of ZR-1 owners that turns me off from being more involved in ZR-1s. It's an awesome Corvette and a legend in its own right, but there are Corvettes out there that are a hell of a lot better than the ZR-1. Unfortunately, a lot of the die-hard ZR-1 fans out there can't see past their valet key. GM will do whatever it wants with the ZR1/ZR-1 nomenclature and to spend time arguing over a friggin "-" is ridiculous.

Last but not least, this new super Corvette might not even be called ZR1 or ZR-1. If GM releases it and calls it a ZR1 and any emblems on it say ZR1 and not ZR-1, I'll be happy to rephrase my posts.

By the way, not sure if you realize this or not, but in your profile, it states you own 1995 Black ZR1 #392.

Aren't you missing the dash? ;)

• Admin
ahhhh....I knew it was hanging around here somewhere.... :boogie

motivator8785389.jpg

attachment.php

When Chevy offers a vehicle that puts out in excess of 600 HP, does it really matter what letter / number designation they give it? I think it is an honor when Chevy feels that ZR1, LT1 should be used on vehicles for perhaps a second or third time. Why would anyone care about an engine / car designation as long as they are fortunate to own a Corvette? A 1990 ZR1 and the 2009 ZR1 can be called just distant relatives. It is that simple.

Bob

One more thing. Nobody can compare the C4 generation ZR1 versus what Chevy will be rolling out in 2009. The new ZR1 will have over 200 more horses, globs of much newer technology, refinements that will blow all of us away and who knows what else? I almost bought a C4 ZR1 but from what I heard, it is a very difficult car to fix and very expensive when it does need work. The ride of a C4 versus a C6 is like night and day. I challenge any Vette owner to say they wouldn't love to put a C6 ZR1 in their garage, no matter what is their current favorite ride. I never played the lottery until I found out about the new 2009 model. Hey, I need to dream too.

Bob

The Sunday paper here in Harrisburg carried a short article about this model.

They had a photo of the car, and said it would be introduced as a 2009 model. According to this article it is to be called the Corvette SS, and will start at $100,000.

They also ran through a half dozen different names that it had been rumored to carry. among them were Blue Devil, ZR1, and a few others, but the article said Chevrolet released it to the press to be called SS.

This is just to pass on what the paper said. There is no need to challange me about it. At $100,000 I don't care what they call it because I'll never afford one.

I'm still mad at myself for not buying a 57 when they were still affordable. If I come into 100 grand thats where my money will go.

Ed

ZR-1 or wannabee?

When the new "ZR(1)" can match the records and performance of the LT5 equipped ZR-1, they can call it whatever they choose. Until then it's just another new (albeit high performance) Corvette.

The one record the new ZR1 will definitely break hands down will be the asking price plus the surcharge no doubt any dealership fortunate enough to get their hands on will add on to the already lofty price. Can we say second mortgage?

Bob

When the new "ZR(1)" can match the records and performance of the LT5 equipped ZR-1, they can call it whatever they choose. Until then it's just another new (albeit high performance) Corvette.

So in other words what you're saying is in order for them to call it ZR-1, the engine should come equipped with extra fuel injectors, extra valves and extra camshafts?

It should have unnecessary rotating mass adding more curb weight to the car?

And it should be taken down to the Texas Motor Speedway and put to the test of breaking the World Endurance records?

The LT5 engine was developed during an age when mainstream powertrain engineering was moving towards a DOHC architecture. While the DOHC architecture has its pros AND cons, the overall mindset shifted back towards an OHV, 2 valves per cylinder architecture.

Why?

Because Powertrain engineers soon realized they could get as good if not better power out of a lot less rotating mass - in age when curb weight is becoming more and more important as the cost of gas and MPG become daily household words.

The technology of the LT5 engine is nothing short of amazing - for its day. It will always be a legend in its own right and I'll always be proud to own one, but I will NEVER let my pride of ownership cloud the hard, cold truth of reality - technology moves on as engineering theory and design improves.

The C4 ZR-1 was the swan song of its generation. Nobody can take that away from it, but the ZR-1 will live on as GM builds new models and decides to re-use the nameplate.

If the C6 ZR-1/ZR1 is the swan song of the C6 generation, then I see no reason why it sould be discredited because it doesn't come with a DOHC LT5 engine.

One last comment: I find it ironic that when GM decided to reuse the Z06 nameplate, current 1963 Z06 owners didn't get their panties in a bunch complaining that ithe C5 Z06 isn't REALLY a Z06 because it didn't come with a 36 gallon fuel tank which was unique to the 1963 Z06.

ZR(2)?

OK...you win. GM can use any engine they want. Obviously, their trend right now is BACK to the OLD technology of big cubes and possibly forced induction. Fine. Blow that 400 or 427 to get lots of horsepower. Then show me it's durable, dependable, flexible, and can perform at sustained high levels.

Anyone can build a big cube engine and push air through it to make big HP. I guess Porche, Lotus, Ferrari, Mercedes, etc. just don't get it. That said, I guess it's not much different than taking the engine from a S600 and making the SL600.....as long as GM doesn't start putting the "ZR1" engine in their sedans and trucks.

it's a Corvette and NOT a Cadillac! That's all I care about.......by the way, i think my '03 Z can take a ZR-1 or ZR1 or what ever you want to call it......that ought to pi$$ off a few.....ok, I will go back to the C1/C2 area...sorry for putting my head up to see what else is going on.....

The sad part though is that GM will give the Cadillac the engine too. Tell me that doesn't really suck!

You know I realy hate that cadillac comercial where the person says"when you turn your car on,does it return the favor"? we all know that the commercial realy belongs to only
one car and that is theCORVETTE. Yes,when I push that button on myC6,it rocks my soul
with only the feeling that only a CORVETTE lover would understand.
Linda Lake
(LITLZO6)
2005 Z51 Coupe

OK...you win. GM can use any engine they want. Obviously, their trend right now is BACK to the OLD technology of big cubes and possibly forced induction. Fine. Blow that 400 or 427 to get lots of horsepower. Then show me it's durable, dependable, flexible, and can perform at sustained high levels.

Anyone can build a big cube engine and push air through it to make big HP. I guess Porche, Lotus, Ferrari, Mercedes, etc. just don't get it. That said, I guess it's not much different than taking the engine from a S600 and making the SL600.....as long as GM doesn't start putting the "ZR1" engine in their sedans and trucks.

Ok, so lets compare prices of Ferrari, Lotus, Porsche and Mercedes, and lets now take a look at the price of a brand new Z06 Corvette.

No actually, lets take a look at all the people *****ing and complaining that the MSRP of the '09 ZR-1 Corvette might reach $100,000.

One last thing take a close look at the engine architecture behind Cadillac's Northstar engine. When you take a look at a Northstar engine, just think LT5. ;)

Ok, so lets compare prices of Ferrari, Lotus, Porsche and Mercedes, and lets now take a look at the price of a brand new Z06 Corvette.

No actually, lets take a look at all the people *****ing and complaining that the MSRP of the '09 ZR-1 Corvette might reach $100,000.

One last thing take a close look at the engine architecture behind Cadillac's Northstar engine. When you take a look at a Northstar engine, just think LT5. ;)
heck my dad's new Buick has a Northstar motor in it!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom