Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2011 Automobile of the Year: Chevrolet Volt

After reading all of the post's i had to chuckle.
I work for a public utility here in New Jersey and have worked as an Operator in a Fossil Fuel Power Plant for 26 yrs and I can tell you this......................a LOT of people have no idea how close they have come to a MAJOR power outage.
Not just in NJ but all over the US.
Our Electric Infurstructure is so out dated that every summer the lines are pushed to there limit.
To quote fm1
"LMFAO ! Great post ! :rotfl Btw - The power company can't meet demand on a hot summer night - how do they intend to meet demand when everyone plugs in their car overnight ? "

You hit the nail right on the head my friend !

Oh and by the way, I was at my Local Chevy Dealer just yesterday and they were
proud as hell when they told me someone from Deleware purchased the only Volt that was on the show room floor, via online and phone, sight unseen, for MSRP.....no questions asked ! :chuckle

Well your are so right on that. I was in New York City back in the early nineties when the power went out and whole Northeast went black. In NYC it was just crazy. People who usually take the train, well they couldn't move a inche, and every traffic intersection was like playing chicken with the other motorist's. And as I stated above, I forgot to add one piece of Infomation I've found about the "Volt". It was from a GMC staff member, they said charging the Volt will cost $1.50 per charge,per day. And it is no more of a drain on the electricity grid than like charging your laptop computer ! For some reason I find it real hard to think a 5,6, or 700 pound battery thats bolted to the cars chassis is only going to need the same elecricity recharge that a laptop is going need ? Plus as this OP has pointed out, our power grid is ready to drop dead as it is. And telling me that it will only cost $1.50 a night ? It's a little hard for me to believe ! I'll be sure once 'Consumer Reports' get's it to try out.

You hit the nail right on the head my friend !

Thanks for the support ! Recently during a holiday gathering I had actually asked the question regarding "demand" to the husband of one of my wifes good friends, who is high up on the totem pole at JCP&L. ( Jersey Central Power & Light for those of you unfamiliar with NJ) He was cringing and laughing at the same time , and pretty much told me what you just posted. At the same social engagement, another gentleman who was privy to the conversation (and ivy league educated) then added " well if that's the case I guess the Volt owners should look into acquiring a Honda generator for charging puposes " . Somehow the JCP&L guy and I didn't bust out laughing in his face. I later told my wife about the conversation & comment. She laughed, knowing completely that these fools are going to burn gas in a generator, to charge their car up , to go 40 miles. Idiots.

Luddite faction ? I doubt it. It just doesn't add up. :D

Thanks for the support ! Recently during a holiday gathering I had actually asked the question regarding "demand" to the husband of one of my wifes good friends, who is high up on the totem pole at JCP&L. ( Jersey Central Power & Light for those of you unfamiliar with NJ) He was cringing and laughing at the same time , and pretty much told me what you just posted. At the same social engagement, another gentleman who was privy to the conversation (and ivy league educated) then added " well if that's the case I guess the Volt owners should look into acquiring a Honda generator for charging puposes " . Somehow the JCP&L guy and I didn't bust out laughing in his face. I later told my wife about the conversation & comment. She laughed, knowing completely that these fools are going to burn gas in a generator, to charge their car up , to go 40 miles. Idiots.

Us here at PSE&G cring as well ! LOL

Really...the Volt... Not a fan of electric or Hybrid Technology, im more for optional fuel technology such as biodiesel. Heck the New Cruze "Eco model" being planned (1.4L turbo-4, 140HP/140TQ, 6-speed manual) gets way higher marks from me then the Volt. Definitely Kool-aid sharing going on there.

The volt on voltage ?

Gezzz, you nailed it and it is a good laugh till the electricity fizzes out or just drop's dead and we're in the dark.. But in reading all these posts made me think of this, the Volt runs on electricity, and that comes from the little gasoline engine, and it uses fuel premium at that, but the whole thing rides on either hooking up to our failing power grid which is powered by coal, or we need a remote Gasoline powered portable generator which also uses gasoline !

But wasn't the goal of the 'Volt' to be an electricity powered vehicle ? Cause it sure looks to me as using a whole lot of 'Gasoline' to get it's power ? I thought the whole purpose was not to use any gasoline, wasn't it ? How does this vehicle diminish our collective carbon footprint ?

Gezzz, you nailed it and it is a god laugh till the electricity fizzes out or just drop's dead and we're in the dark.. But in reading all these posts made me think of this, the Volt runs on electricity, and that comes from the little gasoline, it uses fuel premium at that, but the whole thing rides on either hooking up to our failing power grid which is powered by coal, or we need a remote Gasoline powered portable generator which also uses gasoline !

But wasn't the goal of the 'Volt' to be an electricity powered vehicle ? Cause it sure looks to me as using a whole lot of 'Gasoline' to get it's power ? I thought the whole purpose was not to use any gasoline, wasn't it ?

Why/how a 1.4L 75hp gasoline engine needs premuim fuel definately seems a little odd to me. ;)

Hi-test please.

Why/how a 1.4L 75hp gasoline engine needs premuim fuel definately seems a little odd to me. ;)

When I read this, it seemed like an odd sort of thing. Why would a simple low power electric / generator need a hi-test fuel in the tiny gas motor? I'm not trying to be a "Volt" basher here with all my posts, but I couldn't get any clear answers when I was at the Chevrolet dealership back in late November. :eyerole

I don't know how good or bad the Volt is but i am very happy it is a Made in The USA car. Why bash it? I for one will take a wait and see attitude.

Can't we just leave the gas engine idle overnight so the battery is charged in the morning???
No gov't motors cars for me.

I have recently read that the car comes with 5yr/100.000 mile warranty, the battery is covered for 8 years and it has a lifespan of 10 years.

I wonder if it is prorated...

Coal & Gasoline ah, maybe, maybe not ?

No, that's the basis of my point ! Why would this little auxiliary engine need a fuel that costs almost a dollar more than regular fuel, just to power a generator ? I don't understand why that is ? Even my 2003 LS1 should run on premuim, 91 octane. But in a pinch, it can run on 89 octane. So why should a non-propelling engine need the more expensive fuel ? :ugh

Didn't the Govt give GM money to develope the Volt ? And doesn't the Govt give customer tax incentives to buy a Volt ? Thats it, I demand the Govt just give me one and get it over with.:bash

Volt rebate

Didn't the Govt give GM money to develope the Volt ? And doesn't the Govt give customer tax incentives to buy a Volt ? Thats it, I demand the Govt just give me one and get it over with.:bash
The federal government gives a $7500.00 rebate on the Chevy Volt. Who knows for how long.

The federal government gives a $7500.00 rebate on the Chevy Volt. Who knows for how long.

No ,not good enough .I want the Govt to give me one like Medicare gives away scooters .If they only raised taxes 70% on the rich we poor people could all have a Volt.

Getting around.

No ,not good enough .I want the Govt to give me one like Medicare gives away scooters .If they only raised taxes 70% on the rich we poor people could all have a Volt.

I'm with you. Do you know those motorizes scooters costs around $5K compared to $500.00 bucks for a wheel chair. That's one of the problems with Medicare. But I don't mean or intend to get on my soapbox. Wrong place for that discussion. :eyerole

I wonder if it is prorated...

That is an excellent question for any purchaser to ask. Most likely it is free replacement for that time period, but it would be a very good idea to get the answer in writing (it may be stated as such in the warranty book, but checking would be prudent) before purchasing. :)

Consumers Report vs. The Chevy Volt !

Tonight on the evening news they had a segment about new cars and the new hybrids. To make a long story short, They found that since the Chevy Volt has a range of 40 miles on the battery and then the gasoline engine kicks in to start charging the battery. That being the case, The Consumer Reports tester said if you want to go the 400 miles long range, it would be using the gasoline engine, which would defeat the concept of being a Hybrid and in fact he said you could most likely do better mileage-wise in a convential Gasoline powered engine /transmission Vehicle. :w

Well, what's the resale value ?

I thought the gent from Consumer Reports who did the testing of the Volt was being fair and honest. With the car getting only 40 miles on a charge, and then the gasoline engine kicks in, then if your making a 300 or 400 miles trip, then your going to be using the little gas engine, Not the battery. If that's the case, your better off with the Chevy 'Cruze' It's a nice sedan with the 1.8 liter turbocharged engine that gets 40 MPG on the highway, it's way too much trouble and expense to even consider buying a Volt ! The Volt is a 41K political statement.:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom