Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2011 Z06 or Z07 Corvette?

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
news_front.jpg

Someone emailed the following quotes to me. Not sure of the source, but pretty cool info if it's true!

For 2011 there will be a Z07 — I don’t know if it will officially be called a Z07 or a Z06 with an extra option package. What those extras will consist of is a Z06 with pieces from the ZR1. From what I understand it will have a larger radiator (ZR1’s???) plus ZR1 stabilizer bars, shocks and springs plus the F55 knob on the console. PLUS the ceramic brakes from the ZR1 (a different color caliper — probably a darkish gray) and ZR1 wheels in the competition gray color. I’m actually pretty sure all of that will simply be a package for the Z06 along with another package that will have black outside mirrors (regardless of the body color), a black carbon fiber roof, and the front splitter and rocker panel extensions also in the black carbon fiber with a ZR1 spoiler. So I guess you’ll pretty much have a ZR1 without the engine… Kind of like getting a Z06 without the engine by buying a 2010 Grand Sport…

Some other stuff I paid attention to: There was a car coming down the line in a new color — it had some black mirrors too so I’m wondering if it could have been one of the Z07 models. The interesting color was a metallic orange. Definitely not Atomic Orange — could it have been the Sunset Orange from before? When I asked the name of the color nobody knew or weren’t saying. It was definitely a 2011 because there was a handwritten sheet hanging from the front. The seats were different too with some extra stitching and the two tone pattern was a little different on the seat bottom.

And I also over heard a conversation about the aluminum frame being on all Corvettes. The response I heard was something like “in the past stuff added to more expensive models tends to trickle down.” Sort of a politician’s answer I suppose.
Also, Tadge Juechter, Corvette Chief Engineer, and Harlan Charles, Corvette Product Manager, will unveil this new limited edition Z06 variant in the Corvette Corral of the 12 Hours of Sebring on Friday, March 19.

Thanks Rob. Sounds interesting. I'll be attending the race on Saturday. Got any indication that they will be there the day of the race as well? If so, I'll have to go over and check it out.

Sounds good. Will be watching for the announcement next weekend!!

Very much looking forward to any good news from Sebring. I'll even put up with the local cops on 441 to get there from Miami .;LOL

Sounds great. I wish it offered up the LSA 556 hp motor.

Sounds great. I wish it offered up the LSA 556 hp motor.

If you're going to opt for a supercharged engine, why the detuned Cadillac version? Is it that the belief is the LSA would be a less expensive alternative?

If so, that'd be a foolish choice.

You can add 50 more horses to an LS7 almost just with tuning only and have a lighter powertrain.

Hib, have you done any articles on the Grand Sport?

I like the LSA motor in the CTS V and think it would be a cool addition to the Z06.

The fact that it has 10 percent more hp is cool too.

Not a big deal either way to me.. Just thought it might be interesting to get 556 hp since the Z28 camaro is rumored to get that motor as well.

Should offer more power to the Z06 and be easier for GM to align its products.

Go GM we need you. . . . . . . . . . You're part of America!

Very interesting for sure; can wait to see what it looks like even though I sure I won't be in the market. But if I hit the right numbers in the lottery that could change :chuckle

Bill :w

I like the LSA motor in the CTS V and think it would be a cool addition to the Z06.

The fact that it has 10 percent more hp is cool too.
(snip)

Would you still feel the same way if you know the supercharged engine would have the car weighing about 100 lbs more?

What I'd like to see is a "Z07" which is a sort of "club sport" Corvette.

It would be the current Z06 with a "0LT" option which would downgrade the interior to cloth seats with manual adjusters, standard hvac and minimal other convenience options. Would add a competition-calibrated version of F55, a 550-hp upgrade of the LS7 and soft compound, non-runflat Goodyear tires. Iron brakes with upgraded pad material and bake cooling. Some of the ZR-1 CF exterior panels.

Cloth seats in a Corvette, has this ever been? Just curious, might even sound better if they were nylon or ripstop material, of course the term valour never was mentioned either.

Stripped down serious version would be a cool option for sure.

just because the camaro has more BHP doesn't mean shit. it will be slower in a line, slower around a track, and have a higher skid rating. corvette is about the complete package and not just #'s.

(snip)

It would be the current Z06 with a "0LT" option which would downgrade the interior to cloth seats with manual adjusters, standard hvac and minimal other convenience options. Would add a competition-calibrated version of F55, a 550-hp upgrade of the LS7 and soft compound, non-runflat Goodyear tires. Iron brakes with upgraded pad material and bake cooling. Some of the ZR-1 CF exterior panels.

Cloth seats, manual adjusters, manual HVAC in a modern vette, that would be really nice. I doubt you will see non runflat tires though because of federally mandated TPMS and no spare tire capability.

The Tahoe Hybrid has no spare (it is available as an option tho) and I don't think it has runflats.

Another parts bin special - GM doing more with less. This time it's not just decals and interior trim, and that's a good thing. Sounds like a ZR1 with an LS7 - another good thing. :thumb

same thing as the original FRC that did not sell so they used the body parts they were commited to buy to build the ZO-6 and now they have ZR1 parts they are commited to buy so this is a good way to use them. also i bet some of the stuff has to be available thru the dealer network to use on the race corvette because of the rules

Speculation is a fun, imaginary exercise. April should tell us what we're only guessing/hoping here.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom