Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 2012 Grand Sport tire problem

crumps

I purchased a new set of GoodYear Supercar runflats after 20K in May 2018. Put car in storage in heated garage in September with all tires at 30 pounds. Just checked inflation on tires, I had to add 3 pounds to each tire with the exception of the passenger rear tire which read 15 pounds. I attempted to add air pressure but tire will not accept air. These tires have less than 1k on them and were all fine when I stored. Does anyone know what the problem is? Car is stored in my secure garage. Thank you for your help

Not atypical for tires to lose pressure sitting over the winter time. The tire that won't take air is a bit perplexing though. Not sure why that would be. You may have to take that one off and into a tire shop to figure that one out.

I purchased a new set of GoodYear Supercar runflats after 20K in May 2018. Put car in storage in heated garage in September with all tires at 30 pounds. Just checked inflation on tires, I had to add 3 pounds to each tire with the exception of the passenger rear tire which read 15 pounds. I attempted to add air pressure but tire will not accept air. These tires have less than 1k on them and were all fine when I stored. Does anyone know what the problem is? Car is stored in my secure garage. Thank you for your help

As Tom stated tires lose air naturally which is why checking pressures every month is recommended. Ambient temps also affect tire pressures, approx. 10*F will affect tires pressure about 1 lb., up (hot) or down (cold).

Your right rear tire has a larger than normal leak in it and needs to be removed and inspected.

30 psi in Sept. down to 27 lbs in three of the tires seems normal, but one tire at 15 indicates that tire may have a very slow leak.

As for a tire "not accepting air", either there's problem with he valve core or a problem with your air chuck. I'd get that tire off, and do as others have suggested and take it to a tire service shop.

Air loss in new Goodyear Eagle F-1

30 psi in Sept. down to 27 lbs in three of the tires seems normal, but one tire at 15 indicates that tire may have a very slow leak.

As for a tire "not accepting air", either there's problem with he valve core or a problem with your air chuck. I'd get that tire off, and do as others have suggested and take it to a tire service shop.

Thank you so much for your input. This lead me to inspect the valve core. I had replaced the original caps with custom corvette logo caps. These caps have a small rubber O-ring whichgot stuck in the valve core and did not allow air togo in tire. Once removed the tire accepted air and all is well. This saved a flat-bed tow to the dealership. Thankyou again and please let others know about the potential problems of after market caps. Thank yoy again to Toms007, LLC5 and HibHalverson.:L:L

Thank you so much for your input. This lead me to inspect the valve core. I had replaced the original caps with custom corvette logo caps. These caps have a small rubber O-ring whichgot stuck in the valve core and did not allow air togo in tire. Once removed the tire accepted air and all is well. This saved a flat-bed tow to the dealership. Thankyou again and please let others know about the potential problems of after market caps. Thank yoy again to Toms007, LLC5 and HibHalverson.:L:L

I always keep soapy water (dawn) in a spray bottle, and spray the valve stem after checking or adding air. Glad you found it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom