Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

2014 Chevrolet C7 Corvette Caught Again With Upscale Interior

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
2014 Chevrolet C7 Corvette Caught Again With Upscale Interior

Written by: Donny Nordlicht
Automobile Magazine
September 19, 2012

With the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette’s expected January debut drawing closer, it seems that the C7 Corvette is undergoing its final testing. Our spy photographer shot the new sports car out testing, and managed to snap new details we had yet to see.

Full Story: Spied: 2014 Chevrolet C7 Corvette Caught Again With Upscale Interior - Rumor Central

• Admin
These are some of the best photos we've seen yet! :thumb

The Excitement just keeps building

I really like what I see so far. I think Chevy is going to nail this one!

Lookin' better!

I just might have to buy a NEW Vette!

Last edited:
  • Admin
Agreed, although exterior details are still well-hidden.

What I'm really hoping for - is that GM does not go back to diluting the brand by using items like mirrors, steering wheels and door handles from other platforms.

I really don't care how much the penny-pinching accountants want to save money. In my opinion, when you start sharing visible parts from other, cheaper models like the door handles, side mirrors, and steering wheels, you start diluting and cheapening the brand. The best example of this was the C5 Corvette with those ridiculous oval door handles that were swiped from the Oldsmobile Aurora parts bin.

A note to GM: if you want to share parts across platforms to save money, do it with parts that are not seen by the customer's eye. When it comes to high profile cars like Corvette, Cadillac and Camaro - every visible aspect of those platforms should be unique to the customers' eyes. Example: I don't want to look at the side of a C7 Corvette sitting in a Chevrolet dealer showroom - and see something from the Buick Regal platform.

bingo Rob

Agreed, although exterior details are still well-hidden.

What I'm really hoping for - is that GM does not go back to diluting the brand by using items like mirrors, steering wheels and door handles from other platforms.

I really don't care how much the penny-pinching accountants want to save money. In my opinion, when you start sharing visible parts from other, cheaper models like the door handles, side mirrors, and steering wheels, you start diluting and cheapening the brand. The best example of this was the C5 Corvette with those ridiculous oval door handles that were swiped from the Oldsmobile Aurora parts bin.

A note to GM: if you want to share parts across platforms to save money, do it with parts that are not seen by the customer's eye. When it comes to high profile cars like Corvette, Cadillac and Camaro - every visible aspect of those platforms should be unique to the customers' eyes. Example: I don't want to look at the side of a C7 Corvette sitting in a Chevrolet dealer showroom - and see something from the Buick Regal platform.
Hopefully someone with "juice" on the GM team reads this forum .... j:thumb:thumb

• Admin
Hopefully someone with "juice" on the GM team reads this forum .... j:thumb:thumb
Fingers crossed! I don't think I'm asking for much. I'm not asking for a mid-engine Corvette, or AWD (although that would be nice...), or ridiculous options. I just want to be able to look at a Corvette and SEE CORVETTE...not Buick....not Camaro....not a Malibu.... ;shrug

Hmmm...

I guess everyone is different. It doesn't bother me to use parts from other models, if the parts look/function good.

But GM is going to have a very hard time selling me a C7, because we've been so badly burned on the quality of our previous GM cars in general and our Corvettes in particular. We switched to Japanese cars for our grocery-getters 20 years ago; and every time another switch/module/trim piece breaks on our C6, we remember why. Three Jap cars with a total of 20+ driving years and 200k miles, each of our new Corvettes (2001, 2006, 2009) has had more problems in the first year than all three Japs in their entire lifetimes. And the second and third years aren't any better. The Corvette problems are not related to the high performance nature of the car, just ordinary cheap$h!t parts that fail faster than the dealer can replace them.

The side skirt area below the doors really scoops in. I like it. :w

The seat backs look funny. They look like a guy has both arms raised - holding his head.

What is the uncovered area in the center of the dash? Air vents or did they raise the NAV screen?

Roger

I really like what I see so far. I think Chevy is going to nail this one!

You have to be kidding me, that could be my 07 C6 under the camouflage. I can't believe what imaginations some have to see anything relevant to what the C7 will look like with those pictures.

The body is that of a C6 mule, yes? Though hard to tell with all the camouflage, it looks very C6-like. I would certainly hope a 7th generation Corvette has a body that says "7th Generation" and not just "6.2nd Generation, 440 HP and how about those seats!"

Last edited:
The Corvette problems are not related to the high performance nature of the car, just ordinary cheap$h!t parts that fail faster than the dealer can replace them.

Hello Jim,

I live in Germany and I am happy to own a 2004 C5 Z06 imported from Florida. The C5 seems to be a significantly more reliable vehicle than all newer BMWs and MBs I owned before.

Well, my daily car is an old Toyota. It is a beautiful contrast after the last frustrating BMW experience.

The body is that of a C6 mule, yes? Though hard to tell with all the camuoflage, it looks very C6-like. I certainly hope a 7th generation Corvette has a body that says "7th Generation" and not just "6.2nd Generation."
Don't forget, the C7 is only supposed to be a mild redesign of the C6. Because of GM's financial situation over the last few years, they were not able to allocate a lot of time and funds to a total revamp like we saw from C3 to C4, or C4 to C5.

It is also believed that the C7 will have a relatively short life span - shorter than the C6 and the C8 will be the major revamp - comparable to earlier generational changes.

The side skirt area below the doors really scoops in. I like it. :w

The seat backs look funny. They look like a guy has both arms raised - holding his head.

What is the uncovered area in the center of the dash? Air vents or did they raise the NAV screen?

Roger

And I was thinking the seat backs look more like this:

358883.jpg

:chuckle

Attachments

• 358883.jpg
    358883.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 141
Don't forget, the C7 is only supposed to be a mild redesign of the C6. Because of GM's financial situation over the last few years, they were not able to allocate a lot of time and funds to a total revamp like we saw from C3 to C4, or C4 to C5.

It is also believed that the C7 will have a relatively short life span - shorter than the C6 and the C8 will be the major revamp - comparable to earlier generational changes.

Actually I didn't know that and appreciate the information. That'll make it easier to swallow if it is very C6 like. That being said, it sort of dilutes the idea of a new generation into more of a marketing tool. Just my perception. I guess I think of it like the C3 that had so many slight body modifications over its lifespan, but Chevy never attempted to market them as a new generation. We'll all know for sure next year though.

Hmmm...

I guess everyone is different. It doesn't bother me to use parts from other models, if the parts look/function good.

I feel the same way personally. If the parts don't aesthetically detract from the car or compromise the reliability, I don't care if some of the same parts are used on another GM model, particularly if it means that the price of the Vette is going to be thousands of dollars cheaper than it would otherwise be with completely unique parts on every surface of the vehicle. Not to mention that the more common parts are, the cheaper it is to replace them down the road if the need arises.

Apparently I'm the unfortunate owner of a C5, since my door handles were also used on some other GM car that I've never heard of until reading this thread. The aesthetics or functionality of them have certainly never bothered me, but I guess I should sell my C5 now since it has apparently been tainted by a lesser GM vehicle.

As far as the C7 goes, I can't tell enough from any of the pics I've seen yet to decide how much I'm going to like it. There were a handful of things I didn't like about the C6 vs. the C5 when it came out (though others I did like), so it's never a given that the next generation is going to look or be better than the last. About the only sure thing is that each successive (modern) generation should perform better than the last and have more technological advantages. I have some opinions on some of the things I've seen, but since most of it isn't really finalized yet it seems kind of pointless to get too opinionated about it. Looking forward to the unveil though.

Actually I didn't know that and appreciate the information. That'll make it easier to swallow if it is very C6 like. That being said, it sort of dilutes the idea of a new generation into more of a marketing tool. Just my perception. I guess I think of it like the C3 that had so many slight body modifications over its lifespan, but Chevy never attempted to market them as a new generation. We'll all know for sure next year though.
Well, depends on how you look at it. Take a look at the Porsche 911. Look how many generations of that car exist - however, Porsche has been very careful not to mess too much with the 911's....phenotypical appearance, so to speak. All generations of the 911 look very similar, but some can and do have major changes under the skin.

Some changes to a car don't have to be major in order to cost a huge amount of money. For example: adding a crease, or a fold here, or changing the shape of a body panel requires a much larger sum of money than adding a new switch for an option, or changing a steering wheel design. You have to change body molds, possible assembly line tools, attachment points, etc. When it comes to changing all the body panels, and/or the frame, suspension....etc...then you're talking an enormous sum of money.

I feel the same way personally. If the parts don't aesthetically detract from the car or compromise the reliability, I don't care if some of the same parts are used on another GM model, particularly if it means that the price of the Vette is going to be thousands of dollars cheaper than it would otherwise be with completely unique parts on every surface of the vehicle. Not to mention that the more common parts are, the cheaper it is to replace them down the road if the need arises.

Apparently I'm the unfortunate owner of a C5, since my door handles were also used on some other GM car that I've never heard of until reading this thread. The aesthetics or functionality of them have certainly never bothered me, but I guess I should sell my C5 now since it has apparently been tainted by a lesser GM vehicle.

You're taking my comments to an unnecessary extreme. I'm not saying C5s are trash because their door handles came from another platform. I'm simply saying, me personally, when I look at a C5, I see Oldsmobile Aurora door handles. To some people - they could care less. To me - if I'm paying the kind of money a new Corvette demands - I want 100% Corvette to the eye. I don't want to see other car parts on it - unless it's under the skin. That's all I'm saying.

And I almost bought a 2004 Commemorative Edition Z06 - Aurora door handles and all. :thumb

As far as the C7 goes, I can't tell enough from any of the pics I've seen yet to decide how much I'm going to like it. There were a handful of things I didn't like about the C6 vs. the C5 when it came out (though others I did like), so it's never a given that the next generation is going to look or be better than the last. About the only sure thing is that each successive (modern) generation should perform better than the last and have more technological advantages. I have some opinions on some of the things I've seen, but since most of it isn't really finalized yet it seems kind of pointless to get too opinionated about it. Looking forward to the unveil though.

I feel ruined now by my door handles. :ugh ;)

I came real close to buying a C6 back in May. It was a 2006 convertible that was essentially the same color body and ragtop as my C5. After driving it, I wasn't all that impressed with it compared to my C5, though I did like the heated seats (have those in my daily driver...love 'em). But then I thought, I don't really drive my 'vette that much in the winter so what is the point? The other thing I didn't care for was the powered top; it took up a lot of trunk space. Finally, I parked the C6 next to my C5 while the sales guy did the numbers and look at them side-by-side for what seemed a fairly long time and realized I preferred the look of my C5 to the C6. That the C5 is totally paid for helped me tell the sales guy, "Nah. Changed my mind. Give me my keys please."

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom