Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

315's vs 285's

M

maxwellgood

I have just bought my first Vette. A 95 Coupe, Deep Purple Metallic. :upthumbs The rear tires are shot so I'm ready to make my first tire purchase. Does anyone out there know if I can mount the ZR-1 size tires (315/35) on the stock sawblade wheels ? Much thanks. I look forward to many future discussions.

Your gonna need an 11" rim to run 315's, 275-285 on the stock rim.

Mart

Thanks much! I think I'll stay with the 285's for now. Spent this week's allowance on weatherstripping! Yikes!

From your pic, it looks like your front rims are facing the wrong direction. You can get the ZR1 rims on ebay shipped for around $500. Just an idea. However the price difference between 285's and 315's are around $70 per tire. Anyway, welcome to the club.

Good catch WannaVette, each wheel is directional, check the inside of the rim it will tell you which side it is for, but your left front is deffinaty on the wrong side.

Mart

Thanks. I didn't even notice it until you said something. I'm embarrrrrrassed. I'll swith them before the wheels make one more revolution.

Yeah I didn't even realize that at first. The tire shop did that to my vette when the rotated and balanced mine, and while I was polishing the rims I was like, this doesn't look right.... I was glad I had my brothers car to compare with. Nice looking vette.

315 tires

The 315's won't fit in the spare tire carrier should you ever have a flat (heaven forbid). That, and the need for 11" wheels, made my decision to stay with the 285's

jmccloud said:
The 315's won't fit in the spare tire carrier should you ever have a flat (heaven forbid). That, and the need for 11" wheels, made my decision to stay with the 285's

It may not fit, but the 285's will fit in the spare carrier. Who cares what you limp home on! I just put 315's on my Firebird.... makes the car dive into the corner, and come off the corner MUCH better. If you can find a good deal on rims... I'd say make the move.

:eyerole Nothing is easy anymore. When I went to the tire shop to have them switch wheels they reminded me that the tires were unidirectional. They ended up remounting and balancing the tires of course! Oh well what's anther 50 bucks for my precious beauty to be perfect;) It ended up positive. The Chevy dealer I originally took it in to have a quick go over told me I needed to have new rear brakes. Since I was at the tire shop I asked them to put the rear brakes on. They said they were practically new and certainly didn't need replacing! Hmmm, so much for my local Chevy dealer:mad I think they wanted $200 do do the brakes so I ended up saving $150! Hah and all because of your sharp eye! Thanks a bunch.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom