Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

383 Dyno Results

lars

Corvette
64 Black Roadster; 85 Coupe; 09 G8 GT 4-door Vette
The results from the dyno testing of a 350-based 383 small block are in – the engine is still warm from the dyno runs…

Here’s what we tested:
  • GM 350 block .030” over (oil pan rails notched) with an Eagle stroker crank making 383 cubic inches
  • Eagle “H” beam rods with flat top JE Sportsman pistons
  • Full- length Diamond Stripped Windage Tray in a Moroso baffled oil pan
  • RHS Iron Heads, 200cc intake runners, 64cc Chambers
  • 10.3:1 Compression with thick head gaskets
  • CompCams XR276HR Hydraulic Roller cam
  • CompCams Extreme Energy 1.6:1 Roller Rockers
  • Edelbrock Performer EPS Intake Manifold (so it will fit under a stock ‘Vette hood)
  • Barry Grant “Speed Demon” 750 mechanical secondary carb
  • HEI Tach Drive distributor with 2500 rpm advance curve and vacuum advance
BryceEngine.jpg

Intent with the dyno runs was to compare total timing settings, jetting (air/fuel ratio), with and without a 1” open carb spacer, and compare 1-5/8” headers versus 1-7/8” headers on this mild street engine. The engine idles at 850 rpm, and feels smooth…

Here's the setup on the dyno and ready to run:

Bryces383onDyno.jpg

First Configuration:
As-Built with no carb spacer, 1-5/8” headers, 36 degrees total timing, and carb jetted 2 sizes richer than stock on both ends:
In this configuration we pulled it as-configured, then retarded timing to 34 and 32 degrees: My experience is that these heads will produce more power with a little less timing. Not true in this case: The engine lost torque and power across the range as timing was retarded. Best numbers were achieved with 38 degrees total. My 2-jet increase also turned out to be a wrong guess, and a return to stock jetting turned out to be the sweet spot. I picked some random rpm points to post here to limit the amount of typing I have to do for this post - the peak numbers obtained are at the bottom of each table:
Rpm Torque HP
3000 410 234
4000 435 331
5000 409 390
5400 385 396
BEST 445 397

Second Configuration:
For the next configuration, we added a 1” open carb spacer. The EPS intake is a very conservative intake, and does not perform well at higher rpm – it is pretty restrictive. So I thought an open spacer to give it some plenum volume would help it. The first pull with the spacer showed that the engine went a full point lean, and dropped off massively in power and torque across the range. Fattening the carb up to the same A/F numbers as the previous configuration brought back a lot of the numbers, but the engine was down slightly at every rpm point. The manifold’s restrictions are not in its plenum volume, but in the runner design: no amount of plenum will make up for the low-rpm runners in this manifold. Lesson: If you install a spacer, you have to richen up the carb about 4 jet sizes. A spacer will not improve performance on a low-performance intake manifold:
Rpm Torque HP
3000 410 234
4000 425 324
5000 404 385
5400 383 394
BEST 431 397

Third Configuration:
Next, we removed the 1-5/8” headers and installed a set of 1-7/8” headers. Everything you read will tell you that this will further kill low- and mid-range torque. But maybe they’d work with the spacer… In fact, the big headers didn’t kill the bottom or mid much, and the top end started to wake up a little – the engine broke the 400-horsepower mark:

Rpm Torque HP
3000 398 227
4000 422 321
5000 419 398
5400 387 398
BEST 430 404

Forth Configuration:
Finally, we pulled the spacer out, put the original jetting back in the carb (jetted in the out-of-the-box setting), and gave it a final pull: This turned out to be the sweet combination: The engine pulled over 400 horse across a 500 rpm range, and produced a torque curve so high and flat that this thing can be used to pull tree stumps. The big headers lost only 3 ft/lbs at the torque peak, and otherwise bettered the small headers across the rpm range in torque and power – by a significant margin. The official numbers for the engine are 407 horsepower and 442 ft/lbs torque.
Rpm Torque HP
3000 412 235
4000 434 330
5000 416 396
5400 396 407
BEST 442 407

We did a total of 15 pulls on the engine, and it performed without a hitch – the engine sounds and feels great! Based on the results, the engine is intake manifold limited – if we had the hood clearance to use a Performer RPM Airgap, the components really would have worked well together, and we would have broken the 420-horse mark easily. As it is, I had guessed the engine would produce 420hp/440 torque. I missed the HP by 13 and nailed the torque within 2...
Here are the results of the numbers guessing game in order of closest to the actuals (the difference of the hp/torque numbers added together determines how close you got):

Lars: 420/440
Rowdy1: 430/440
Herminator: 440/440
Mac: 380/400
rgtrough: 453/465

Thanks..........

Great post, very well done in all aspects, description, list of parts, different set ups, everything right down to the pictures (no points for no video) Thanks again Lars:beer

Very cool! What is it going in? I'm loving the torque of my 383!

It's going in a 4-speed 71 Vette - should feel pretty strong!

Lars, great thread. Thanks for the effort and the detailed information. I based my guess on what I obtained when I built the engine I am running in my "74 4 speed. I built the engine while enrolled in the High Performance Engine program at Sinclair Community College here in Dayton Ohio. The program is unique in the sense that you state the power goals and mods you want and the instructors will guide you on how to meet those goals. The only limiting factor is your wallet. I did all the machining/clearancing of the block. Dyno pulls for tuning along with max power results are your final grade. The difference between our builds seem to lie with the intake/heads/cam. I don't have a problem using a drop base air filter so I was able to use an Edlebrock rpm intake port matched to my AFR 195's that flowed 277 intake and 227 exhaust right out of the box. My cam is a Comp Hyd roller with .510/.520 lift and 230/236 duration. The max power pull was performed with 34 degrees of timing with 1 5/8" headers.

478 torque @ 4300
468 HP @ 5900

The power curve on the torque looks like a a flat line. This is a very streetable car. I'm running the 1 7/8" headers from Hooker that are part of their sidepipe kit (another story all together what a nightmare). This is a great combo. An absolute blast to drive. If you can convince your customer to run an aftermarket air filter and use a better intake his wow factor will climb.
Thanks for the thread.

Excellent results and a great write up. Thanks Lars! :upthumbs

-Mac

The engine is back in the workshop and ready for pickup - The bar is stocked, and the cars are ready to drive... as Chuck Yeager would say in "The Right Stuff," .."Flying and Drinking and Drinking and Driving..." Not that we would ever do such a thing, of course.
64and383.jpg

Denver PD Officer: "Now, Lars,,,, how did all that rubber get laid down in the street in front of your House..?"

Poor Lars: "I don't know, Ossifer. How did my keg get empty, and where did all these happy smiling people come from?"

Lars

Not Sure..........

Which I like more, the bar or the garage. :beer

You know, RD1, as we get older, we tend to appreciate the comforts in life: A fast car, a comfortable garage and a nicely stocked bar...
:beer

Nice numbers. How much would something like that run (time to start saving)?
Love the workshop/bar. Makes my lowly 2-corvette garage and beer minifridge look weak. But like you, it's always stocked for locals to come have a few brews and chat.

lots of good info...

Sorry to bring such an old thread up from the dead.
found this doing a search on 276 extreme roller.
lots of good header,intake,jets and tunning info in general.

this confirms a lot of info I preach often to others.

super job and thank you for posting it :thumb

You know, RD1, as we get older, we tend to appreciate the comforts in life: A fast car, a comfortable garage and a nicely stocked bar...
:beer

Tom T. Hall: "Younger Women, Older Whiskey, Faster Horses, More Money" :thumb

Hi Lars, I loved your buid on the 350. I am looking to do something this winter like that for my 1980. Over all how do you like it, is it pretty streetable. Would you recommend this build. I am looking for more horsepower but still lots of street driving. If you have time please let me know what you think. Thanks Don.

I drove the car with this engine in it only once, and it felt extremely strong and solid: The low-end and idle quality was almost stock-like, but the torque was brutal coming on at near off-idle rpm. In the mid-range, this thing will tear your head off if you keep you foot in it, and traction becomes a problem.

For more accurate comments, I have forwarded your inquiry to the engine/vehicle owner for him to provide additional comments - I'm sure he will post in follow up.

Lars

Interesting information, indeed.

How much the intake manifold kills power was really an eye-opener.

One thing that's missing is the RPM at which the peak or "best" numbers were obtained. At what rpm was that?

Don,

I am the customer that Lars is referencing to in this post and the motor is very streetable. I've only had the motor in the car for a month or so, but it is really fun to drive. If you are looking for a fun streetable motor with plenty of punch, I would recommend this combo all day long. In addition, I am guessing that the reworked heads and the beehive springs add another 20hp to the dyno results Lars posted as the motor pulls hard through 6,000 rpm. Good luck on your build.

Bryce

Hib,

Here are the complete Dyno results from the second day (note I only graphed 3 pulls so the numbers may vary slightly from the numbers Lars posted) Again, these numbers were achieved prior to rebuilding the heads and installing the beehive springs.

Combo 1 (Blue lines) - Timing 38, Jets 76,84, 1 5/8 headers
Combo 2 (Green Lines) - Timing 38, Jets 78,86, 1 5/8 headers
Combo 3 (Red Lines) - Timing 38, Jets 78,86, 1 7/8 headers

DynoDaylg.jpg

Attachments

• DynoDay.jpg
    DynoDay.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 174

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom