Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

383 Stroker

80VetteL82

Corvette
1980 L82 Black/Red
Okay, I made a post a while back trying to get input on what kind of motor I should drop in after taking out the original. Im just 100% sure Im going to go with a 383 stroker. I wanted to see what everyone thought about this, and if anybody had any experience with one. One of my main concerns is if it will hurt my drivability. Another question is what you guys think of the specific motor Im looking at. I currently have the stock L82 motor with the stock TH350 rebuilt about 5k mi ago, and a brand new 3.70 rearend. When I swap the motor I plan on swapping the tranny for a 700r4, because I desperately need overdrive. Any and all input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
80VetteL82

A 383 is a good engine,driveability depends on cam selection,and compression.keep your comp around 10.1 and cam in the 230/236 dura @ .50 range and it will be fine.Like all engine's it's all in how it's built,I have done some 450 hp 383's and some 700 hp 383's.

If you are looking to buy a crate style engine Golen engine service has some nice 383's.I would lean away from a GM crate motor they are having some quality control problems right now.

Check out www.enginefactory.com . I had them build my motor for me and they will work with you to build what you want/need. If you talk to them talk to Matt Walsh. The quality of the work is great and they are really great to work with.

A 383 is a good engine,driveability depends on cam selection,and compression.keep your comp around 10.1 and cam in the 230/236 dura @ .50 range and it will be fine.Like all engine's it's all in how it's built,I have done some 450 hp 383's and some 700 hp 383's.

If you are looking to buy a crate style engine Golen engine service has some nice 383's.I would lean away from a GM crate motor they are having some quality control problems right now.

As I am contemplating ordering a ZZ4 GM crate motor I am alarmed at quality control problems. Is this just anecdotal or factual?

If you do a search there are several people with complaints on piston slap,excessive smoking on start up,Head gaskets leaking,if you go to pro touring.com and a 572 search and a crate motor search,there are a couple threads on problems with the GM crate engines.It does tend to be more with the BB,but I know of a couple SB's.

A good friend has a 502 that has had 2 replacement engine,this has the same problem of the first engine,piston slap and smoking,the 1st replacement had the rod bolts untorqued.

I am not saying they are all bad,I am just warning that there are people out there with issue's with them.

As I am contemplating ordering a ZZ4 GM crate motor I am alarmed at quality control problems. Is this just anecdotal or factual?

No problems with my ZZ383.

Going on on 5 years with my 383, Eagle rotating assembly, 9.7 1. retrofit speed pro hyd roller, edelbrock rpm heads. And the tremec 5 spd. Does what I want it to do. Very impressed how it turned out

I'm not saying all the GM crate engines are lemon's,I am saying they are having problems as of late.

Interesting about GM crate engine problems...
We sell many GM performance crate engines and I can not recall one instance of any problems with any of the engines we have sold.

the 383 thats in my 76 was built the old style by turning down a 400 crank to fit the 350 block back in 1990 it has held up quite well I have always had a 5800-6000 revlimiter in it the power falls off before that anyway. I would guess that it has upwards of 70,000 miles on it in two different vehiciles and I am building another for my 68. Best all around small block V8 :upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom