Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 4+3 Gone South

DBROS

My 84 Vette with 24k miles had been making some what of a whining noise over the last month, thought it may have been the tires, but it went away when overdrive was engaged.

Yesterday the noise was 10x worse, doesn't want to drop in OD and now no reverse.

I've seen reference to a bearing going bad in the tranny that will cause both these symptoms, some have referenced as a carrier bearing.

The good news is I have two options for repair - a 30 year certified GM trasmission mechanic, or another good friend who has been in/owns the tranny business for almost 25. The GM guy wants me to yank it and he will rebuild it on the side, my friend said he wants to hear what the car is doing before he rips anything apart - and he has experience with these trannys and their "known" problems. I've used both of these guys in the past on automatic transmissions - the GM guy is real good on later model transmissions I've had him fix, never sent one back, but I'm hesitant to pull this myself and put it back in and have problems.

Anyone think of other options, is this a common problem with these 4+3's?

My 84 Vette with 24k miles had been making some what of a whining noise over the last month, thought it may have been the tires, but it went away when overdrive was engaged.

Yesterday the noise was 10x worse, doesn't want to drop in OD and now no reverse.

I've seen reference to a bearing going bad in the tranny that will cause both these symptoms, some have referenced as a carrier bearing.

The good news is I have two options for repair - a 30 year certified GM trasmission mechanic, or another good friend who has been in/owns the tranny business for almost 25. The GM guy wants me to yank it and he will rebuild it on the side, my friend said he wants to hear what the car is doing before he rips anything apart - and he has experience with these trannys and their "known" problems. I've used both of these guys in the past on automatic transmissions - the GM guy is real good on later model transmissions I've had him fix, never sent one back, but I'm hesitant to pull this myself and put it back in and have problems.

Anyone think of other options, is this a common problem with these 4+3's?

This guy is selling one on the forums. Maybe less expensive than your other options.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105897

Another resource . . .

DBROS,

Try this link - I found it while doing some research/background on a car we had a while back. It has lots of information on these transmissions and some links.

http://www.5speeds.com/dne.htm

Your car having 24k miles shatters the cozy myth that because my 1985 has 30k miles, Doug Nash drama is far into the future. Please let us know how it turns out.

Foy
Las Vegas

DBROS,

Try this link - I found it while doing some research/background on a car we had a while back. It has lots of information on these transmissions and some links.

http://www.5speeds.com/dne.htm

Your car having 24k miles shatters the cozy myth that because my 1985 has 30k miles, Doug Nash drama is far into the future. Please let us know how it turns out.

Foy
Las Vegas

I'm pretty lucky living on LI and having S&K speed a few miles from my home. I never knew he (Brian) was rebuilding these OD units for years. He actually has cut-away units and was explaining to me exactly what was going on with my 86. He laughed when he saw my odometer (109K), saying my OD unit must have been re-built more than once! He told me most of the pre 86 OD units went bad around 30k miles or less.
-Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom