Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

4+3 Overdrive Problem

8vett5

Corvette
1985 4+3 Blue Coupe
Having a problem with the overdrive going in and out while driving down the highway. Replaced the toggle switch and checked the wires on the transmission. Does any one have any other suggestions what might be the problem. Thanks. Just a thought is there a solenoid that runs the overdrive unit, and does anyone know where it is located

Don't know if ths applies to that year or not but here goes. I had a stretched cable, had some slack which cause the sensor for the trans to shift wrong and also caused the OD to go in and out while driving. This was a gradual thing and got worse as time moved on. This is called a TV cable I believe. Right on the throttle body. Mine is attached to the ASR motor, yours is probably a little different but may attach to that same sensor. may be worth while to check that cable. ???

Checked the fulid, it was OK, but will look at the cable. Thanks for the HELP

Checked the fulid, it was OK, but will look at the cable. Thanks for the HELP

You might also look at the connector going into the overdrive relay. The insulation on the wires tend to shrink over time because of the heat. This exposes some bare wires at the connection that can cause some problems. There are two relays (one in front of the other) on the driver's side firewall. One is the fuel pump relay and the other is the overdrive relay. Can't remember if the overdrive relay is the one to the front or back.

This looks to be the problem, checked the wires, one wire broken. Thanks for the HELP.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom