Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

4+3 pops out of 2nd

John '85

Corvette
1985 Red Coupe TKO500 Z51
Downshifting from 3rd into 2nd, sometimes it pops out of second!!!! I have heard that this might be the 2nd gear synchro. What is that and how can I fix it?

Synchronizers are worn down. If you can 'sort of' keep it engaged by holding the shifter, your synchros need butter.

synchromesh.jpg

Luckily the gearbox section of the 4+3 is just the common BW Super T10 trans

Luckily the gearbox section of the 4+3 is just the common BW Super T10 trans

THAT I did not know!

This means that you can might be able use a synchro for a WC T-5 tranny, which many think more of than a T-10...

Synchronizers are worn down. If you can 'sort of' keep it engaged by holding the shifter, your synchros need butter.

synchromesh.jpg
Yes, I can put it back in gear, and hold it. It needs butter??? Please explain.

John

Downshifting from 3rd into 2nd, sometimes it pops out of second!!!! I have heard that this might be the 2nd gear synchro. What is that and how can I fix it?

MOST PROBABLY NOT SYCNCROS!! more likely it is your over drive. I have the same situation with my 86 - after your car is warmed up do you feel like the tranny slips in reverse? Brian from S&K speed told me it is the OD unit in need of a rebuild, not my tranny, the pop out in 2nd is a sympton of the OD going bad.
Tom

MOST PROBABLY NOT SYCNCROS!! more likely it is your over drive. I have the same situation with my 86 - after your car is warmed up do you feel like the tranny slips in reverse? Brian from S&K speed told me it is the OD unit in need of a rebuild, not my tranny, the pop out in 2nd is a sympton of the OD going bad.
Tom

The OD is not engaged. I only use the OD on the highway with speeds over 50mph.
When it pops out of 2nd gear, the shifter goes with it.
I just serviced my OD unit last week, as I do quite frequently with new fluid and filter.

John

The OD is not engaged. I only use the OD on the highway with speeds over 50mph.
When it pops out of 2nd gear, the shifter goes with it.
I just serviced my OD unit last week, as I do quite frequently with new fluid and filter.

John

It doesnt matter if you are in OD or not, I spent quite a bit of time with Brian at S&K, and to the tee he diagnosed the OD failing which whether in OD or not it is still linked to the transmission. when mine pops out of 2nd the shifter goes with it. Try this, run your car until it is well warmed up and you have driven 15 or 20 miles. Now try backing up a grade like a driveway, listen to the transmission, not important if you had it in OD or not. You will notice your tranny sounding lound like a whirring sound, and it will feel like the clutch is slipping. This is the OD unit. Something to do with the clutches biting into the casing and wearing it away slipping. I deal with this and the condition is degrading continually, it is fine driving normally but will pop 2nd, and of course the reverse thing.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom