Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

4+3 problems (88 Convertible)

O

omega1940

I recently did a rebuild ("ground up") on my 88. New 4 bolt main, 383 stroker.
The car turned into a rocket, but the 4+3 tranny gave out. I had the tranmission and overdrive units rebuilt, but shifting the unit has never been right since. The shift linkage was reset correctly but that didn't help. We began to think the clutch was acting up, and discovered a clutch master leak. The clutch master and slave were replaced and bled properly (including "tilting" the slave to 45 degrees to get all of the air out) but it still had trouble shifting into reverse and first.

I saw an article somewhere about the reverse lock-out rod being worn, and when I took it out it really was worn badly. I contacted Chris Petris in Florida about a new rod and when it came I thought this was finally it. It didn't help at all.

When it is cold (which is rare in Phoenix) it does shift more easily, but after about 10 minutes if I come to a dead stop and try to shift into first it must be "forced" in with much more than normal pressure. Once I stop I cannot shift into reverse without at least some "grinding" and this is beginning to drive me nuts.

I suppose the rebuild of the tranny could have been done improperly with the syncro's not working right, but the guy who did the rebuild has done hundred's of these things.

I bought "101 projects for late model Corvettes" (or something like that) and it has a long article on properly adjusting the linkage. I plan on doing that next week, but I have my doubts that it is going to work.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

1988 Corvette
383 Stroker rebuild
Ported and polished plenum
Accell SuperRam Intake
Accell Long-tube runners (ported and polished)
Bosch 24 lb. injectors
Crane Gold "Race" roller rockers
ZZ11 Camshaft
MSD 6AL Ignition
Performance Products HEI Coil
Scat 383 crank, pistons, rods, rings, Clevite 77 bearings
Centerforce II Dual Friction Clutch
Hooker Headers
Taylor Spark Plug wires
K&N
Flowmasters
Comp Cams Chromeloy Pushrods
GM Hydraulic Valve Lifters
ZR-1 Oil Pump
Billett Flywhele
58 mm Throttle Body
Custom PROM
etc.,etc.etc.

88 4+3 Shifting

Ken, I hope you are right. I'll post a note if ever figure it out.

Mike

Hey keep us informed on what is wrong, I have the exact same problem. In first gear It is really tight, hard to get in, and in reverse, it will always grind. No matter how long i hold in the clutch and wait for the RPM to lower, it always grinds in reverse. Also I just rebuilt my OD unit as well.

Good luck to the both of us lol

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom