Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 4+3 removal seperatly

buford87

Corvette
1987 Coupe Bright red 4+3
I'm new to Corvettes but have been a long time mechanic and automobile restorer. I searched the site for the specific info I'm looking for but all I found were complete trans removal and either repair or replace.The overdrive looks as though you can remove it without removing the trans. Am I right or wrong? Any help will be great.

Bob in Pa.

I'm new to Corvettes but have been a long time mechanic and automobile restorer. I searched the site for the specific info I'm looking for but all I found were complete trans removal and either repair or replace.The overdrive looks as though you can remove it without removing the trans. Am I right or wrong? Any help will be great.

Bob in Pa.

You can but you probably don't want to. This might help: Doug Nash Overdrive Problem Page

If you're a long time mechanic and automobile restorer, you certainly have the Factory Service Manual for that car. Why not take a look in the FSM and see what it says about trying to remove the O.D. with the trans in the car?

Regret Asking

If you're a long time mechanic and automobile restorer, you certainly have the Factory Service Manual for that car. Why not take a look in the FSM and see what it says about trying to remove the O.D. with the trans in the car?

I guess you missed the part where I said I'm new to Corvette. I won't bother you again.

I guess you missed the part where I said I'm new to Corvette. I won't bother you again.

It is just much easier to pull as one big unit than to fight with bolts, unbolt shifter shaft bolts leave shifter arms hanging and yank. Also you can not reassemble the two hafts with the transmission laying flat unless you pull the T-10 side cover, once the O/D is pulled the reverse idler gear falls out of alignment. get your O/D repairs done and to reassemble find a old rim put input shaft down into the rim line up the gear and wiggle together.

SAFETY TIP DO NOT DISASSEMBLE O/D WITH OUT CAGEING CLUTCH PACK. you could crack the case or even wear some car parts.
also do not pull the two hafts together with the bolts, they should go together fairly close without using bolts.

Last edited:
4+3

Thank you Forrest. I don't buy a set of manuals until I have a car. I'll be getting a set but wanted an answer now. That explains the reason for removal as a unit.

Thank You Again

Thank you Forrest. I don't buy a set of manuals until I have a car. I'll be getting a set but wanted an answer now. That explains the reason for removal as a unit.

Thank You Again

now comes the trick finding some one who can rebuild it, its not a overly complicated trans I have rebuilt many in my dealership days, but makes me wonder were the time went it's probably been 25 years since. even then the sprag gear wasn't cheap + all the clutches

buford87
This place might save you on manuals: Search

Good luck and enjoy!

I agree factory manuals at a good price, also get any supplemental sections, like electrical or drive line, body and so on.

remember Hays and Chilton good to keep under front seat for the day stuck on side of road but for repairs FACTORY manuals they go much deeper and explain better :thumb

Last edited:
4+3

Thanks to those that helped. I have a factory service manual and electrical manual ordered, they're just not here yet. I have a friend who rebuilds transmissions (30 years now) and he said he would help. That way I'll know how to do it if it ever happens again. The car has 67,000+ miles on it. I don't know if it's common for these overdrives to without much warning. I thought I had a tire or diff going bad on our return, and by the time we got home it was obviously not a tire when it got louder and the OD stopped working. Now if I can get whatever parts for it. Has anyone used the kit from Eklers?

Thanks for the help

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom