Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

4L60E replacements

femurphy77

Corvette
1992 Coupe
I'm in a position where I will soon need to replace or rebuild the tranny in my
'92. As the title states it's a 4L60E (I'm pretty sure :confused). I have talked to a couple of the local shops and they are both pretty much the same price at $1700 and $1800 each. I have seen several rebuilders on evil-bay with prices around $12-1300, of course thse prices don't include installation but do include new convertor, heavy duty components internally, shipping and no core charge. My question is has anybody done business with any of these vendors and also what should I be aware of if I should decide to do business with one of these businesses? Thanks, FM, Indy

The 4L60E did not appear until the 93 model year. The 92 will have a 4L60, another name for the 700R4.

I would spend the extra and have a local reputable tranny shop rebuild the one in the car. There are some differences between the Corvette trans and the F-body (Firebird/Camaro) trans. Some of the eBay sellers may just be substituting an F-body trans with the Vette tailshaft.

Going with a local shop also gets you a warranty so if something does go wrong, you have some recourse. And the work includes r/r of the trans itself, something you would have to pay for if you bought one by itself.

You can also work with the trans shop to consider mods that may extend the life of the tranny or mod it for specific uses.

Hi FM,

I recommend that you call:
D & L Transmissions
462-9388
Give them a call and talk to Dana, the owner. He's a real good guy and he REALLY knows transmissions. He built the tranny in my Malibu drag car. I can tell you that you can trust Dana and I would only let him build any tranny I would need done.

They are on US40 east about a mile before you get to Greenfield, heading from Indy.

PM me if you have any questions.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom